Ice Cream season is upon us! Let’s celebrate with these 11 Refreshing Homemade Vegan Ice Cream Recipes. Everything from Cookie Dough to Butter Pecan, there is a recipe for everyone.
It’s vegan ice cream time!
Now that we are into June, it’s officially summer. While this summer may not feel like years past, there are still somethings that we can celebrate. Long days and warm nights, summer bike rides, and, of course, eating all the ice cream.
Don’t worry – I’ve got that last one covered for you.
Today I’m sharing with you my top 9 favorite homemade ice cream recipes on My Darling Vegan. But, before we get to the recipes, let’s take a look at what we need to make perfect vegan ice cream.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
As you may already know, I am a huge fan of homemade vegan ice cream and sorbet. For the past 15 years, I have experimented with a lot of different bases for vegan ice cream.
Here are my favorite non-dairy ice cream bases.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Frozen Bananas
- Pros: Bananas are low fat, low-calorie, and raw. They make an incredibly rich and creamy ice cream base.
- Cons: They have a strong banana flavor and should only be used when that flavor is desirable.
- Pros: Nuts are relatively flavorless, taking on the flavors of the ice cream while providing a rich and creamy custard.
- Cons: These nuts are high in fat and calorie and sometimes can make your ice cream taste too rich.
- Pros: Full fat coconut milk is rich, thick, and similar in consistency to the heavy creamer. Therefore, coconut milk has the most similar texture to that of cow milk ice cream.
- Cons: Coconut milk adds a slight coconut flavor and should only be used when that added flavor is desired.
Most importantly, you will need an ice cream maker. I love my ice cream maker. It is compact and makes the perfect creamy ice cream every time! You should also have a 9×5 loaf pan, ice cream scoop, and a set of reusable pint-sized ice cream freezer containers. (<<affiliate links)
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need an ice cream maker?
While I totally recommend getting an ice cream maker ASAP, you can make a creamy custard without the machine.
To do this, make your ice cream base as outlined above. Once it’s ready, transfer it to a baking sheet and place in the freezer. When the ice cream is frozen, break it into chunks and blend it in a food processor until it becomes smooth and creamy. This may take up to 10 minutes. Transfer to a loaf pan refreeze.
You won’t get quite the same creaminess, but it works in a pinch!
Why won’t my ice cream thicken?
Every once and a while I have a reader who cannot get their ice cream to thicken. There are a few reasons your ice cream never gets thick and creamy. Make sure to:
- Boil your coconut ice cream base for at least 2 minutes. The custard should become thick, fully coating the back of a wooden spoon.
- Freeze your ice cream maker base for at least 8 hours before using it. This is to freeze the center of the base which is essential in getting thick vegan ice cream.
- Chill the ice cream base for at least 4 hours before churning. If the ice cream base is too warm, it will melt the center of the ice cream maker and never harden.
Pro Tip: This is for coconut milk ice cream bases only.
Serving and Storing
Homemade ice cream might feel daunting but it is so easy and way more affordable. Here are a few serving and storing tips for your homemade ice cream:
- Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. I store my ice cream in these pint-sized ice cream tubs to keep them fresh and avoid freezer burn.
- Allow the ice cream to thaw 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve your ice cream in a bowl, in cones, or as part of an ice cream sundae.
Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
More Summer Recipe Roundups
Are you ready to celebrate the summer season with food? Make sure to check out these summer roundups as well:
- 11 AMAZING Eggplant Recipes
- 11 Refreshing Strawberry Recipes
- 15 INCREDIBLE Zucchini Recipes
- 31 Summer BBQ Recipes
That’s it! 9 homemade ice cream recipes. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Tell me in the comments below.
Written by Sarah McMinn