A simple and delicious vegan zucchini bread that is filled with zucchini and walnuts in every bite. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, you’re going to love the flavors in this classic bread.
Friends, things are growing in my garden!
Right now it’s just snap peas and kale but pretty soon there’s going to be beets, onions, and – you guessed it – ZUCCHINI. Zucchini is a prolific vegetable and most of my friends who have vegetable gardens, mine included, find ourselves with more zucchini that we can eat. Sure, there are many vegan zucchini recipes worth trying, but when we are done making zucchini noodle lasagna and pesto zoodles, what are we to do?
Why, bake it in vegan zucchini bread, of course.
I love this vegan zucchini bread for many reasons:
- Zucchini makes bread incredibly moist. It’s an automatic egg replacer!
- It is a very straight-forward recipe. Some vegan quick bread can be a bit tricky with textures and baking times, but this zucchini bread is nearly fool-proof and can be thrown together in just about 10 minutes. Whip it up, throw it in the oven, then sit back and relax.
- It’s a great use for all that excess zucchini you’re gonna have growing wild in your garden. Especially when you tired of eating zucchini noodles every night for dinner by mid-August.
- My kids love it. And while I don’t love all the sugar they are getting when they have a piece, I am thrilled that they are getting veggies, fruits, and nuts with their sweet snack.
How to make vegan zucchini bread
Step one – Combine your ingredients
In a small bowl combine your flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a separate bowl whisk together your wet ingredients. That’s your oil, sugars, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
Step two – shred the zucchini
Using the shredding attachment of your food processor or handheld grater, shred the zucchini. Add the zucchini to your wet ingredients and combine
Step Three – Combine wet and dry ingredients
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix in until the flour is evenly hydrated. Gently fold in the zucchini.
Step Four – Bake the vegan zucchini bread
Generously spray a loaf pan. Transfer the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
As this vegan zucchini bread bakes, a nice caramelized crust will form. But at its center is a moist and tender bread that is filled with delicious flavor. The zucchini is neutral in flavor, thus not very noticeable in this recipe. If you like more of that zucchini taste, you can add up to 1/3 cup more without drastically affecting the texture of the bread.
What you will taste is the sweet and spiciness of the sugars and applesauce mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of cardamom. So good!
Tips and Tricks for making the perfect vegan zucchini bread:
- Do not over-mix the batter. Mix until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined to prevent extra gluten from forming, making the pastries gummy. A few lumps are okay.
- Generously spray your loaf pan to ensure the bread doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Let the bread cool at least 10 minutes in the loaf pan before flipping it onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Otherwise, the bread may break apart as they finish setting.
- Consider adding chocolate chips for chocolate zucchini bread.
Serving and Storing vegan zucchini bread
Serve zucchini bread warm with vegan butter or homemade pumpkin butter.
Uneaten bread should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Or store it in the freezer for up to one month. Just pull it out the night before to let it thaw completely before chowing down.
So, who’s ready to do a little mid-spring baking? Let’s don those aprons, grab a whisk, and go! It’s vegan zucchini bread time!
Looking for more zucchini recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
- Zucchini Noodle Lasagna
- Spiralized Vegetable Salad
- Mushroom Bolognese with Zucchini Noodles
- Zucchini Brownies
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake
What are you favorite recipes to make with zucchini?
A simple and delicious vegan zucchini bread that is filled with zucchini and walnuts in every bite. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, you're going to love the flavors in this classic bread.
Keyword: Vegan Zucchini Bread
Servings: 10 people
Calories: 233 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1 heaping cup shredded zucchini, (1 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 8x4" loaf pan and set aside.
Using a handheld shredder or the shredding attachment of your food processor, shred 1 medium zucchini and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugars with apple sauce, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine. Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in the loaf pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
To store, cover bread in saran wrap or tin foil and store at room temperature for 3 days.