Lighten up with these incredible vegan tacos. Made with buffalo jackfruit, cilantro cabbage slaw, and fresh avocado, these tacos are something to get excited about! Made in just 20 minutes for an easy and delicious vegan meal.
It's Vegan Taco Time, my friends!
Over the 7 years that I've been blogging, I have very few taco recipes on the blog. In fact, I only have two (besides this one). And of the two, one of them is also a jackfruit taco recipe - BBQ Jackfruit with Mango Salsa. When I made these vegan tacos with Buffalo Jackfruit I wasn't considering the fact that I haven't branched out beyond jackfruit tacos much, but the truth is, jackfruit is just one of the best vegan taco fillings out there and buffalo jackfruit is AMAZING.
Jackfruit and Buffalo Sauce combine in this sweet and spicy way that, mixed with Creamy Cilantro Slaw, makes the perfect sweet and creamy, spicy and tangy combination.
I rarely eat what I make these days (it mostly goes to my family) but friends, I ate FAR to many of these vegan tacos. I just couldn't help myself!
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Jackfruit. If you don’t like or can’t find jackfruit, feel free to use tempeh, tofu, or cauliflower.
- Flour Tortillas - For a gluten-free taco, use corn tortillas
- White Cabbage
- Vegan Mayonnaise – My favorite brands are Just Mayo and Vegenaise. You can also use homemade. For a healthier option, this vegan slaw can be made with my oil-free avocado mayo instead.
- Oil – I recommend either coconut or avocado oil. You could also use olive oil if that’s what you have on hand.
- Frank's Red Hot
- Vegan Butter- Look for a high-quality non-hydrogenated vegan butter. I recommend either Earth Balance or Miyoko’s.
- White Vinegar
- Toppings - I like to top my tacos with avocado, cilantro, and lime.
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to make Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos
Step One - Make Buffalo Jackfruit
The good news is Buffalo Sauce is super easy to make! It starts with a base of hot sauce; Frank’s Red Hot is most people’s go-to hot sauce of choice. Gently heat the hot sauce with the other sauce ingredients over low heat until the butter has melted. Once it’s melted, you should have a silky smooth, vibrantly red, spicy hot Buffalo sauce
Next, drain and rinse the jackfruit. Rinse the jackfruit through a colander to get off any of the brine flavors from the can. Pat the jackfruit dry with a paper towel. While the jackfruit is drying, heat up oil in a cast iron skillet. When it is sizzling hot, add the jackfruit and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the jackfruit begins to brown.
Remove the jackfruit from heat, stir in the Buffalo Sauce and you're ready to go!
Step Two - Make Vegan Cabbage Slaw
This Creamy Cilantro Slaw is similar to the slaw in my Baja "Fish" Taco Bowls.
To make the slaw, thinly cut the white cabbage into small pieces. You can also use the shredding attachment of your food processor but no need. Transfer the shredded cabbage into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust according to your liking and refrigerate until ready to use.
Step Three - Assemble and Serve
Now that we have our buffalo jackfruit and creamy cilantro slaw made, it's time to assemble the tacos. To assemble, place a small scoop of slaw on the bottom of each tortilla. Add about ¼ of buffalo jackfruit and top with avocado, fresh lime juice, and cilantro.
Serving and Storing
Storing - Store leftovers separately. The Creamy Cilantro Slaw can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Store the Buffalo Jackfruit in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, gently reheat the jackfruit in the microwave or over the stovetop.
Frequently Asked Questions
For those of you who are unfamiliar, jackfruit is a large green tropical fruit that, when green, has very little flavor. The stringy texture, however, is similar to that of chicken or pulled pork, making it one of the most popular whole food vegan meat substitutes.
While some people buy jackfruit whole, I find getting it canned isthe most convenient way to introduce jackfruit into your recipes.
Jackfruit is an incredible whole-food meat substitute. It has a similar texture to that of chicken or pulled pork and it takes on any flavors you give it.
If you can’t find or don’t like jackfruit, you can use tofu, tempeh, or cauliflower.
Sure! Just swap out the flour tortillas for corn tortillas and you have yourself some vegan and gluten-free buffalo tacos!
More Vegan Jackfruit Recipes
- Vegan Taquitos with Jackfruit
- Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit
- Classic "Chicken" Jackfruit Salad
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Avocado Slaw
- Jackfruit "Tuna" Melt
More Vegan Taco & Burrito Recipes
- Mushroom Steak Tacos with Mango Salsa
- "Fish" Tacos with Baja Cream Sauce
- Balsamic Portobello Tacos with Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
- Easy Vegan Freezer Burritos
- Orange Glaze Tempeh Tacos
Vegan Tacos with Buffalo Jackfruit and Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
- 10 mini (street taco-size) flour tortillas
- 1 ½ cup shredded white cabbage
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- juice of one lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 15 oz. can jackfruit
- ⅓ cup Frank's Red Hot
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ large avocado, cubed
- a few sprigs cilantro
- lime wedges
- To make the Cilantro Cabbage Slaw, finely chop the cabbage and place it in a mixing bowl. Add minced cilantro, lime juice, salt, and vegan mayonnaise. Taste to adjust seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a saucepan combine Frank's Red Hot, vegan butter, and white vinegar. Heat, stirring occasionally until butter has melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat avocado oil (or any high-heat oil) over medium heat. Add the jackfruit and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the jackfruit has begun to brown on the edges. Remove from heat and stir in the Buffalo Sauce to fully coat the jackfruit.
- To assemble the tacos, place 2-3 tablespoons of cabbage slaw at the bottom of each taco. Top with buffalo jackfruit, cubed avocado, fresh lime, and cilantro. Serve immediately.