This Vegan Fish Tacos bowl is made with beer-battered vegan "fish", fresh Baja cabbage slaw, seasoned corn, and creamy Baja sauce for a meal everyone will love.
The other day on Pinterest I came across a fish taco bowl and I immediately pinned it to my favorite board, "Veganize It!" where I stow away all the inspired recipes on the internet that are in desperate need of a vegan makeover.
My "Veganize It!" board grows faster than I can produce recipes, and for that reason, many are buried beneath pins only to be forgotten days later. But every once in a while a recipe catches my eye so completely and enthusiastically that I drop everything that I am doing and set to work creating my own vegan version right then and there.
Thus was the case with these vegan Fish Tacos Bowls.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
These vegan bowls are a combination of refreshing cilantro cabbage slaw, slowly sautéd corn, spicy homemade Baja sauce, and of course, my beer-battered fish sticks. They are like a deconstructed fish taco that is light, refreshing, and so so good!
Here is everything you need.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- White Rice - You could also use brown rice if you prefer. Just note that brown rice takes about twice as long to cook.
- Corn - You can use fresh, frozen, or canned.
- Oil - Any high heat oil will do. I recommend avocado or coconut oil.
- Beer Battered No-Fish Sticks - This is a homemade recipe that that uses Heart of Palm for the fishy texture. You can also use store bought vegan fish sticks. I like Gardein's Fishless Filets.
- Red Onions
- White Cabbage
- Vegan Mayonnaise - My favorite brand is Just Mayo. It is shelf-stable and has a similar price point to non-vegan mayonnaise. However, any vegan mayo will do.
- Toppings - You will needavocado, cilantro, lime, and jalapeño.
For this recipe, you will need basic cooking equipment including a saucepot, a sauté pan, and kitchen utensils, including a chef’s knife and cutting board. You will also need a food processor for the vegan fish sticks. (<<affiliate links)
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Vegan Fish Taco Bowl
Step One - Make the Vegan Fish Sticks
The most important step in making the perfect vegan fish taco bowls is making vegan fish. And I've got just the recipe for that.
These Beer-Battered Vegan Fish Sticks are perfect for these vegan fish tacos. They are made using heart of palm and seaweed to create a fish-like taste and texture.
Time Saving: Feel free to use store bought vegan fish. I recommend Gardein's Fishless Filets.
Step Two - Make the Cabbage Slaw
Shred the cabbage with a sharp knife or the shredder attachment of your food processor. Mince the cilantro.
In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the cabbage slaw. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step Three - Roast the Corn
In a small cast-iron skillet heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add corn and sauté for 7-9 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly brown and fragrant.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Step Four - Make the Baja Sauce
In a separate bowl combine the ingredients for the Baja sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step Five - Assemble the Bowls
To assemble the meal, evenly divided the cooked rice between two bowls. Add a scoop of cabbage slaw and sautéd corn and sprinkle with red onions.
Layer with 3-4 vegan fish sticks and Baja sauce. Top with fresh cilantro and jalapeño and serve.
Serving and Storing
Serving - Serve immediately with a spicy margarita and some chips and guacamole
Storing - The vegan fish does not store well and should be eaten immediately. Any other leftovers should be stored separately. Store the cabbage slaw in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The Baja sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Leftover corn and rice and be stored for 2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure! I've had many people try this meal using store-bought vegan fish. When you buy the vegan fish at the store, this meal can come together in just about 10 minutes. My favorite store-bought vegan fish are filets from Gardein.
More Vegan Bowls
- Cuban Black Beans Bowl with Plantain Fries
- BBQ Soy Curls Bowl with Homemade Vegan Ranch
- Mediterranean Rice and Lentils Bowl
- Green Goddess Buddha Bowl
Vegan Fish Tacos Bowl
Fish Taco Bowls
- 1 cup white cabbage
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced
- salt to taste
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- cilantro minced
- jalapeno minced
- 1 jalapeño thinly slice
- fresh cilantro
- avocado cubed
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the cabbage slaw. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small cast-iron skillet heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add corn and sauté for 7-9 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Prepare the Beer Battered Fish Sticks according to these instructions.
- In a separate bowl combine the ingredients for the Baja sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the bowl, evenly divided the cooked rice between two bowls. Add red onions, a scoop of cabbage slaw, and sautéd corn. Top with 3-4 vegan fish sticks and Baja sauce.
- Add desired toppings and serve immediately.