Dinner made easy with these simple sheet pan vegan fajitas. It’s a colorful mix of red and green bell peppers, red onions, and perfectly seasoned soy curls for a simple and delicious vegan and gluten-free meal. One pan, under 30 minutes!
It’s vegan fajitas time!
I’ve been sitting on this recipe for a while. Like 2019 a while. In fact, this was the last recipe I created in 2019 before taking a creative hiatus from work (which, by the way, was fantastic and something I highly recommend for anyone in a creative field). But after weeks and weeks of waiting, I am finally able to share with you my vegan chicken fajitas.
I have one other fajita recipe on the blog, my Portobello Steak Fajita Bowls and while they are delicious, I think this one is even better. Since I first created the recipe in November of last year, we have been eating this as part of our weekly rotation, and friends, my children have never eaten so well.
Let’s take a closer look.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
This recipe is super simple to make. These sheet pan fajitas can be made with just one pan and thrown together in under 20 minutes for minimal mess and fuss. It’s the perfect weeknight meal!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Oil- I recommend avocado or olive oil but any oil will do.
- Soy Curls – If you can’t find soy curls at your grocery store, they can be found online(<<affiliate link). For a soy-free option, use portobello steak strips.
- Red Onions
- Fajita Veggies – To make my fajitas colorful, I used a mixture of red, yellow, and green peppers, but you can use any peppers you’d like. Other common fajita vegetables are zucchini, summer squash, and jalapeños.
- Spice Blend – Chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano, salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Corn Tortillas – Use flour if you prefer.
- Additional Toppings – Fresh cilantro, jalapeños, lime, guacamole, and vegan sour cream.
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Sheet Pan Fajitas
Step One – Rehydrate the Soy Curls
Place soy curls in a small bowl and cover with warm water. Top with a lid and let sit for 10 minutes to allow soy curls to rehydrate.
Step Two – Peppers and Onions
Slice the peppers and onions. Add rehydrated soy curls and toss with olive oil and spice blend. Bake until soy curls are browned on the outside and chewy in the middle
Step Three – Assemble
Fill your corn tortillas with about 1/3 cup of pepper/soy curls mixture. Top with guacamole (or avocado), cilantro, lime, and any other topping of choice.
Serving and Storing
Serve your fajitas with fresh lime wedges, cilantro, and guacamole.
Store the components separately. Store extra vegetables and soy curls in the refrigerator for 2 days. Gently reheat them when ready to eat. Guacamole should be eaten within a day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Soy curls are a dehydrated soy product made by soaking the beans in fresh water and then constantly stirring them while they cook. They then get dried at low temperatures which hold in the nutrients making soy curls a fiber and omega-3 rich food. Also, they are delicious.
Most well-stocked grocery stores carry soy curls in the bulk section. If you can’t find them at your local grocery store, pick some up online. (<<affiliate links)
Can I use something other than soy curls?
For sure! Try this recipe with tofu, tempeh, or store bought vegan chicken.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Mexican-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Jackfruit Taquitos
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Skillet Enchiladas
- Restaurant Style Guacamole
Sheet Pan Vegan Fajitas with Soy Curls
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup guacamole or 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
- fresh cilantro, minced
- jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place soy curls in a small bowl and cover with warm water. Top with a lid and let sit for 10 minutes to allow soy curls to rehydrate.
- Meanwhile, slice the peppers and onions and spread evenly onto a large sheet pan. Mix together the spices until they are combined.
- Drain the soy curls and add them to the peppers and onions. Top with olive oil and spice blend, mixing with your hands to thoroughly coat the peppers and soy curls. Bake for 25 minutes, until peppers have started to blacken and soy curls are chewy and brown.
- While your peppers bake, prepare the avocado, lime, cilantro, and jalapeño, if using. Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave or individually on a skillet.
- When peppers and soy curls are done, remove them from the oven and assemble your fajitas. Place the pepper/soy curls mixture at the bottom of a corn tortilla. Top with avocado, lime, cilantro, and jalapeños. Serve immediately.