Today I’ve got a new recipe for you all. One that I can’t believe has taken me 6 years to put on the blog. Ready for it?
Restaurant-Style Homemade Guacamole
After 6 years of blogging, why don’t I have a classic guacamole recipe on the blog?! The truth is, unfortunately, because I typically get my guacamole at the store. It’s crazy, I know. Why would I BUY my guacamole when making it at home is:
a) it’s less convenient
b) it’s more expensive and
c) way fresher and more versatile
Because sometimes, my friends, after days of blogging while juggling single parenting, home-owning, and an Airbnb business, I just want things to be easier.
But in truth, I ought to be making my guacamole at home. Why?
WHY HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE IS BETTER
- It is actually incredibly easy to make guacamole at home. The whole recipe can be made in just about 5 minutes. No mess, no fuss! And that is quicker than taking a trip to the store, don’t you think?
- This easy homemade guacamole is so much cheaper than store-bought. The recipe costs me about 3 dollars and it makes over 3 cups of fresh delicious guacamole! That’s at least 3x cheaper than what I can find at my local grocery store making it an ideal way to provide salsa all summer long.
- Fresh guacamole is SO much better. We all know that avocados do not stay fresh long. Even though I want to like storebought guac, it always tastes a little old.
- This recipe is so versatile. Like it spicy? Add another jalapeño. Want more zest? Add more lime juice. You can adjust the garlic, cilantro, spices, and salt as you please and with such simple ingredients, it becomes your masterpiece as you adjust the flavors. Just like my homemade salsa and cauliflower queso, versatility is key.
Ingredient for EASY Guacamole
You only need a handful of ingredients to make delicious homemade guacamole
- Red Onion
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE?
So, I said it was incredibly easy. How easy? Why it only takes 5 minutes and one bowl. Place your avocado in a bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients – all 8 of them – mixing them together until they are well combined.
HOW TO PICK THE PERFECT AVOCADO
Because avocado is so essential for this vegan condiment it’s important that we pick an avocado when it’s perfectly ripe. When choosing an avocado, look for one that is darker in color and make sure that it is mostly firm with a little bit of give when you gently press on its skin.
For a super helpful How-To Guide, check out this article.
Pro Tip: If you buy your avocados before they are ripe, let them sit out at room temperature for a couple of days until they are slightly soft to pressure. Once they are ready, you can stick ripe avocados in the refrigerator to allow them to last longer.
SERVING AND STORING
- Homemade guacamole does not stay fresh long. Prepare just before serving for the freshest results.
- Serve this guacamole as part of your game day spread, with vegan nachos, quesadillas, or as a simple snack with corn chips.
- For spicy guacamole, store it with half of a jalapeño pepper. As it sits, the flavors will absorb into the salsa for a delightfully hot and spicy guacamole recipe.
What to do with your guacamole
There are so many wonderful things to do with homemade guacamole. You can add them to:
- Vegan Quesadillas
- Portobello Steak Fajita Bowls
- Homemade Nachos
- Mexican-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Skillet Enchiladas
- Or just enjoy it with some tortilla chips and a spicy margarita.
There you go. Everything you need to know about how to make homemade guacamole.
I keep learning, time and time again, that homemade is almost always better. I hope you agree. So whip up this easy homemade guacamole. With just 8 ingredients and less than 5 minutes of prep, I don’t know why you wouldn’t make it at home?
Get your avocado fix with this Easy Guacamole made with ripe avocados, fresh herbs and spices, and lots of flavor. Serve with chips.
Keyword: Easy Guacamole
Servings: 6 people
Calories: 110 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately with chips or tortillas.