Get your avocado fix with this Easy Guacamole made with ripe avocados, fresh herbs and spices, and lots of flavor. Serve with chips for a delicious appetizer for your next party.
Today I’ve got a new recipe for you all. One that I can’t believe has taken me 6 years to put on the blog. Ready for it?
Restaurant-Style Homemade Guacamole
After 6 years of blogging, why don’t I have a classic guacamole recipe on the blog?! The truth is, unfortunately, because I typically get my guacamole at the store. It’s crazy, I know. Why would I BUY my guacamole when making it at home is:
a) it’s less convenient
b) it’s more expensive and
c) way fresher and more versatile
Because sometimes, my friends, after days of blogging while juggling single parenting, home-owning, and an Airbnb business, I just want things to be easier.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Homemade v. Store Bought Guacamoles
- It is actually incredibly easy to make guacamole at home. The whole recipe can be made in just about 5 minutes. No mess, no fuss! And that is quicker than taking a trip to the store, don’t you think?
- This easy homemade guacamole is so much cheaper than store-bought. The recipe costs me about 3 dollars and it makes over 3 cups of fresh delicious guacamole! That’s at least 3x cheaper than what I can find at my local grocery store making it an ideal way to provide salsa all summer long.
- Fresh guacamole is SO much better. We all know that avocados do not stay fresh long. Even though I want to like storebought guac, it always tastes a little old.
- This recipe is so versatile. Like it spicy? Add another jalapeño. Want more zest? Add more lime juice. You can adjust the garlic, cilantro, spices, and salt as you please and with such simple ingredients, it becomes your masterpiece as you adjust the flavors. Just like my homemade salsa and cauliflower queso, versatility is key.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
- Avocado – It is important that your avocado is perfectly ripe. Find out how to pick the perfect avocado below.
- Red Onion
- Jalapeño – Feel free to adjust or omit this to your spice preference.
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How To Pick The Perfect Avocado
Because avocado is so essential for this vegan condiment (avocado mayo, yo!) it’s important that we pick an avocado when it’s perfectly ripe. When choosing an avocado, look for one that is darker in color and make sure that it is mostly firm with a little bit of give when you gently press on its skin.
Pro Tip: If you buy your avocados before they are ripe, let them sit out at room temperature for a couple of days until they are slightly soft to pressure. Once they are ready, you can stick ripe avocados in the refrigerator to allow them to last longer.
How to Make Homemade Guacamole
So, I said it was incredibly easy. It only takes 5 minutes and one bowl.
Place your avocado in a bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients – all 8 of them – mixing them together until they are well combined.
Serving and Storing
Serving – Homemade guacamole does not stay fresh long. Prepare just before serving for the freshest results. Serve this guacamole as part of your game day spread, with vegan nachos, quesadillas, or as a simple snack with corn chips.
Storing – For spicy guacamole, store it with half of jalapeño pepper. As it sits, the flavors will absorb into the salsa for a delightfully hot and spicy guacamole recipe.
Recipes for Guacamole
- Vegan Quesadillas
- Portobello Steak Fajita Bowls
- Homemade Nachos
- Mexican-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Skillet Enchiladas
More Homemade Dips & Spreads
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately with chips or tortillas.