I hate to be cliché but friends, PUMPKIN season is upon us!
My first pumpkin recipe of the year is always exciting for me. It means fall has truly arrived with all its autumnal splendor. Last year I kicked off the season with this Pumpkin and Smokey Tempeh Chili and the year before that it was my Peanut Pumpkin Curry. If you want to know my favorite pumpkin recipe from past years, I would have to say this Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta. So creamy and delicious!
But then theses vegan pumpkin muffins with cream cheese came along and everything changed.
In truth, these vegan pumpkin muffins are my rebellion against the weather gods who insist we’re still in the middle of a hot and humid summer. In the past two weeks temperatures have continued to linger in the 90s, even breaking 100 a couple days. The air is dry and smoky as the fires in the Columbia River Gorge continue and the luscious green that Oregon is know for is yellow and brittle.
But it’s September, people!
This Indian Summer is not going to get the best of me. I am going to make it fall even if I melt in the process. So it’s chai tea and warm soups and pumpkin cream cheese muffins coming out of My Darling Vegan’s kitchen.
For the cheesecake filling I used Go Veggie’s classic cream cheese made with coconut. Go Veggie is a company dedicated to promoting healthier lifestyles by providing delicious plant-based cheese alternatives. Their cheeses have more calcium, equal protein, less fat and less calories compared to dairy cheese.
And the taste? Fantastic!
The perfect creamy, spreadable, deliciously cheesy cream cheese for that cheesecake swirl!
100 degree weather or not, these muffins are worth making! Super moist from the pumpkin puree and seasoned to perfection with the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, you don’t want to miss out on this year’s first pumpkin recipe of the season.
So grab you whisks and mixing bowls and whip up a batch of these vegan pumpkin muffins today.
Get the aroma of fall filling your home.
These vegan Pumpkin Muffins with cream cheese are filled with the flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg and made extra moist with pumpkin puree.
Keyword: Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
Servings: 18 muffins
Calories: 215 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two muffin tins with cooking oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin puree with both sugars, mixing to combine. Add apple sauce, oil, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract with a fork. Stir until smooth.
- Fill muffin molds 2/3 of the way full. Top with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and, using a toothpick, swirl to combine.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.