You're going to love this Spinach Fig Salad. It is made with fresh figs, creamy avocado, toasted walnuts, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette for a delicious fall salad that will fill you up.
I was at the grocery store the other day...
Okay, that's a terrible way to start off a story. I'm at the grocery store EVERY day. The cashiers all know me by name. They know that when I'm with my kids it means I'm likely stressed out and it's best not ask how I'm doing and they know when I'm not with my kids I'll chat up a storm. My grocery store is my home away from home.
So, like every day, I was at the grocery store when I noticed something very exciting. Fresh Figs! Coming out for the first time of the season in all their glory and splendor.
Beautiful, colorful, juicy, sweet figs. Welcome back!
Clearly I had to mark this wonderful occasion by coming up with a recipe that would highlight this beautiful time of year; the time when summer slowly slips into fall and new locally sourced fruits and vegetables become available. So I went home and got to work in my kitchen. The results?
A beautiful and delightful Spinach Fig Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette. And friends, it was lovely!
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
Not only is this salad packed with nutrient-dense foods that will leave you feeling great, but this salad is also SUPER EASY to make. It can be made in just about 20 minutes for a wholesome and hearty midday meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Spinach – Both kale and arugula make nice substitutions.
- Onions – This can be omitted if you don’t like raw onions.
- Walnuts – Feel free to swap these out for another nut such as hazelnuts, pine nuts, or pecans. Or omit them altogether.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette – This is a combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. To save on time, feel free to use store bought vinaigrette.
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
How to make the Spinach Fig Salad
Step One – Toast the Walnuts
The first step in making this salad is to toast the walnuts. They toast up pretty quickly, so roast them at a lower temperature than most nuts (around 350 degrees) and make sure to check them often to prevent burning.
Once they are fragrant and dark brown, remove them from the oven and let them cool before tossing them in with the salad.
Step Two – Make the Balsamic Vinaigrette
Next, and what really makes this salad one of my favorites, is the Balsamic Vinaigrette. To make this vegan dressing, blend together the ingredients until your dressing is rich and creamy. You can use a small blender or just shake up the ingredients in a sealed Mason jar.
Time Saving Tip - You can save time by simply buying your Balsamic Vinaigrette at the store.
Step Three – Toss it all Together
Once the walnuts and dressing are ready, thinly slice the avocado and onions and cut the figs in half. Toss it all together with the spinach and serve!
Serving and Storing
Serving – This salad makes a great side to my Pomegranate Balsamic Portobello Steaks or Lemon Pepper Cauliflower Steaks. Or serve it as part of your Summer BBQ dishes for a light and refreshing late summer salad.
Storing – This salad is best eaten within an hour of assembling as the avocados and figs will start to quickly brown. Leftover salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator to be eaten the next day.
More Vegan Salad Recipes
- Kale Pomegranate Salad with Tofu Feta
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Warm Kale Salad with Curried Tofu
- Curry Apple Spinach Salad
Spinach Fig Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Fig Spinach Salad
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 4 figs cut in half
- 1 small avocado pitted and sliced
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup red onions chopped
- In a small blender combine the ingredients for the Balsamic Vinaigrette and set aside.
- Roast the walnuts at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes, until lightly brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Divide spinach between two plates and top with the remaining salad ingredients. Serve immediately with Balsamic Vinaigrette