These Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are just how a cookie should be – chewy, sweet, and filled with chocolate in every bite.
Did you know that My Darling Vegan has over 400 recipes? 400?!
I only just found this out when I dug around the backends of this website. 5 years and 400 recipes. I’ve been busy.
And do you want to know the craziest part? In those 400 recipes, I don’t have a classic vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie. I’ve got Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, Snickers-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, even a Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie but no old-fashioned, chewy, chocolate-filled cookies just like you and I remember.
Until today. Yep, this week we are starting out right with these Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
A few reasons I am a HUGE fan of this Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:
- They are soft and chewy with a lightly crisp outside and melt-in-your-mouth chocolate in every bite.
- They are super easy to make – can be thrown together in one bowl and just about 5 minutes.
- They use no strange, hard-to-pronounce vegan ingredients or weird egg replacers.
- In addition, there is no palm oil or margarine of any kind in this recipe.
- These cookies are 100% organic (that’s right!!)
Pretty sweet deal, huh?
How to make perfect vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Because I wanted to make a cookie that was free of margarine and palm oil (a controversial ingredient among vegans), I decided to go with coconut oil. For that reason, the method for making this cookies varies slightly from traditional.
Step one – Mix together your wet ingredients.
Start by combining your melted coconut oil and sugars. In a large bowl whisk together the oil and sugars until the sugars begin to dissolve and you have a smooth consistency. At that point, add the applesauce and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
Step two – Combine the dry ingredients.
Mix together your flour and baking soda. Once the baking soda is well incorporated, sift your dry into your oil/sugar mixture. With a wooden spoon, mix them together until a thick dough forms. Do not over-mix.
Now it’s time for the best part – fold in those chocolate chips!
A quick word on vegan chocolate chips.
I get a lot of questions on how/where to find vegan chocolate chips. Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and Target all have their own line of vegan chocolate chips but if you aren’t near any of them and your local grocery store doesn’t carry their own brands, here are a few to look out online.
Step three – Bake the cookies
Baking the cookies just right is essential for getting that perfect chocolate chip cookie – a delicate crispy edge with a delightfully chewy center. In order to get the perfect chocolate chip cookie texture texture here are my tips.
Tips for baking the perfect chocolate cookies.
- Use parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Placing these between the baking sheet and your cookies will not only prevent sticking, but it will also encourage the cookies to bake faster on the outside giving you that soft and chewy middle.
- Bake cookies at a slightly higher temperature than normal (375 F). This also will encourage the edges to bake faster creating a light shell around all that chewiness.
- Bake for less time. I always recommend taking your cookies out when they are slightly underdone. Cookies will continue to bake on the baking sheet as they cool. You can tell cookies are done when they are slightly brown and flattened but still have a bit of wobble.
- Remove from oven and let the cookies cool at least 5 minutes on the cookie tray before transferring them to a wire cooling rack. This is the final touch in creating that perfect chewy texture.
Serving and Storing Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies can be served immediately or you can first let them cool completely. Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Pro tip: You can also store the dough in the freezer for fresh baked cookies every day! To do this, roll the cookie dough into balls and place them on a baking sheet in the freezer. Let the cookie balls freeze completely, at least 2 hours, before transferring them into a large ziplock bag to be stored for up to 2 months. This way you can pull out a couple cookies at a time to bake as you please!
Are you ready to make the perfect vegan chocolate chip cookie? Let’s take a look at the recipe below!
Want to see the recipe in action?
Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine brown and white sugar with coconut oil and salt. Stir until sugars are evenly hydrated.
Add apple sauce and vanilla extract, siring to combine.
Sift the flour and baking soda into the sugar/apple sauce mixture and mix until the flour is evenly incorporated and a thick dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Scoop about 2 rounded tbsp of dough onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2" between cookies.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are lightly brown. They should be slightly under-baked. This will give the cookie the chewy texture.
Pull cookies from oven and tap a few times on the counter to allow the cookies to flatten slightly. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to let cool completely on a cooling rack.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know what you think in the comments below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram. Make sure to tag @mydarlingvegan so I can see your creations!