Baked vegan chocolate pistachio doughnuts dipped in chocolate ganache and topped with crushed pistachios for the perfect morning pastry.
My last job as a baker included a weekly 4:30 am shift. For most bakers this might be considered sleeping in but somehow over the many years and many jobs I had in pastry this was the earliest I’d ever been awake for work. At 4:30 I would head into the silent dark bakery, turn on all the lights, start up all the ovens, and get the morning’s pastries baked off. There is something really wonderful about waking up with the preheating oven and breathing in the solitude of an empty store that was, only hours ago, busy with people finishing their shopping and employees rushing around trying to get home before midnight. And as crazy as it sounds I would love to trade some of my mornings of waking up to a crying toddler (albeit several hours later) in for a few early morning baking shifts.
Of course at the time I did not think this. The last several months of my job I was third-trimester pregnant, not sleeping, and in so much pain that those early mornings left me feeling frustrated and sorry for myself. Until I found the solution…
We sold chocolate and vanilla vegan donuts and most mornings, as soon as they came out of the oven, I would sneak a warm and perfectly crispy yet moist donut into my belly. The knowledge of that morning donut certainly helped me get out of bed when my alarm went off at 3:45 am on those days.
Now every other week Jason goes downtown to a meeting and stops in at my old stomping grounds to buy me one of those amazing chocolate donuts. But as I’ve (finally) arrived into my third trimester of pregnancy and am rediscovering the aches and pains, the sleepless nights, and the general feeling of, well, pregnancy, I’ve decided one donut every other week might not be enough to get me through.
And so I took matters into my own hands: Double Chocolate Pistachio Doughnuts
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, crushed
- 1/4 cup soy milk or creamer
- 4 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a donut pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together apple sauce, soymilk, oil, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- To make the chocolate ganache place chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat soymilk until just before boil (a thin layer of skin will form on the top of milk when ready). Pour over chocolate chips. Cover for 5 minutes then stir together until chocolate has completely melted and ganache is well combined.
- Dip the top of each donut into the chocolate ganache. Let set up slightly (about 5 minutes) before dipping donuts into crushed pistachios. Let ganache set up completely before serving.