The last few weeks my recipes have been heavily influenced by my farm share, as it should be this time of year. Two of my most popular posts, chocolate dipped strawberry creamsicles and lavender marionberry mason jar pie have both been born from farm share goodies. So when I found zucchini in my crate this week, the wheels in my head started turning. I played around with different ideas all week and yesterday I went to work in the kitchen. The result: a moist, rich chocolate espresso cake.
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp instant coffee
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil (2) half pint mason jars.
- In a small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together canola oil, sugar, apple sauce, and vanilla extract. Add shredded zucchini and mix until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture and stir together until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill Mason jars about ¾ full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until knife comes out clean. Let cake cool for 30 minutes before serving.
If you prefer use very finely ground espresso in place of the instant coffee.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter