Start your day off right with these Vegan Huevos Rancheros. Made with scrambled tofu, refried beans, and spicy rancheros sauce for a hearty and healthy breakfast.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
I'm super pumped about this week. For one thing, spring officially starts TOMORROW and I could not be happier. For the last several weeks I've had major spring fever and CANNOT wait for the sunny days ahead.
Secondly, it's my birthday week! And, truth be told, I like getting older. Life has continued to become fuller and richer with each year and I have many great feelings about the new one I'm embarking on.
Lastly, I'm headed out of town on Wednesday to drive down the coast for a 5-day road trip that will take me to the California redwoods.
What better way to celebrate the beginning of spring and my birthday than with a slow trip down highway 101?
But before I go, I have one more recipe to share with you!
Vegan Huevos Rancheros, my friends!
Recommended Ingredients and Equipment
Huevos Rancheros are a traditional Mexican breakfast; a combination of fried eggs (heuvos), rancheros salsa, refried beans, and cheese served over lightly fried corn tortillas. It's a hearty, savory breakfast filled with fresh flavors and tons of protein.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Tofu Scrambled Eggs- For this recipe, I use a batch of these easy vegan scrambled eggs in lieu of fried eggs. While it changes the texture of traditional huevos rancheros, the scrambled tofu is a nice contrast to the refried beans and rancheros salsa.
- Oil - Any high heat oil will do. I recommend avocado oil.
- Corn Tortillas - Feel free to use flour tortillas
- Salsa Rancheros - Homemade or store bought.
- Refried Black Beans - Make sure to check the label. Not all refried beans are vegan.
- Toppings - I top my rancheros with pico de gallo, avocado, lime, and cilantro
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Vegan Huevos Rancheros
Step One - Make the Scrambled "Eggs"
Make the scrambled "eggs" by sautéing minced onions and garlic with crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Sauté until the tofu is cooked all the way through and set aside.
Read my full tutorial on vegan scrambled eggs.
Step Two - Salsa Ranchero & Black Beans
In a small saucepan, heat the salsa ranchero over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 15 minutes, until the salsa has reduced and thickened.
In a second pan, heat the black beans over medium-low heat until they are warmed all the way through.
Step Three - Assemble
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add corn tortillas and pan-fry on each side for about 2 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
To assemble, place 2 corn tortillas on each plate. Top with refried beans, scrambled tofu, salsa rancheros, and pico de gallo. Add remaining toppings of choice and serve immediately.
Serving and Storing
Serve this recipe immediately while the tortillas are crisp and the beans and salsa are still warm. Serve as part of a hearty breakfast or brunch alongside a Bloody Mary.
Store the components for these rancheros separately. Tofu eggs and black beans can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The salsa can be stored for up to 7 days. When ready to eat, gently reheat the tortillas, assemble, and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure, while flour tortillas are less traditional, they would work just fine.
Salsa Ranchera is a traditional cooked Mexican salsa with tomatoes and serrano chilis. You can buy your salsa ranchera online or make your own at home.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
- Greek Tofu Scramble
- Southwest Breakfast Burrito
- Vegan "Lox" Bagel Sandwich
- Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- Tofu Eggs Benedict
Vegan Huevos Rancheros
- Make the scrambled "eggs" and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the salsa ranchero over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 15 minutes, until the salsa has reduced and thickened. Heat black beans over medium-low heat in a small pan until they are warmed all the way through.
- While salsa is simmering and black beans are warming, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add corn tortillas and pan-fry on each side for about 2 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- To assemble, place 2 corn tortillas on each plate. Top with refried beans, scrambled eggs, salsa rancheros, and pico de gallo. Add remaining toppings of choice and serve immediately.