Start your day off right with this Vegan Eggs Benedict with avocado – made to perfection with seasoned tofu and homemade vegan hollandaise sauce.
Over the past couple of weeks I have been enjoying what I call “second breakfast”.
My first breakfast is usually around 6:30when Eden wakes up. I eat a quick bowl of cereal or oatmeal while working as quickly as possible to get coffee brewing. My desperation for coffee is a bit ironic, since I’m just drinking decaf right now. Regardless, it’s the ritual of that first cup of coffee that makes me feel normal.
My life has fallen into a rather nice routine of late.
After Eden and I are finished with our cereal and I’m sitting down with my first cup of coffee, Jason reads to Eden while I do everything I can to stall him from leaving for work. Rarely successful, we are all headed out the door around 8:15 – him to work and Eden, the dog, and me to the park for our morning walk.
Somewhere around my lap around the park this second baby wakes up – the one inside of me – and wants to eat! That’s when I take the time to prepare and enjoy what has become my favorite meal: second breakfast.
This Vegan Eggs Benedict was a result of second breakfast this week and it surely did satisfy.
Keyword: Vegan Egg Benedict
Calories: 478 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 1 english muffins
- 2 thick slices of tomato
- 4 oz firm or extra firm tofu
- a small handful of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small avocado
- hollandaise sauce, recipe follows
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- Place vegan butter in a small sauce pan and bring to boil. Add flour and whisk until it forms a paste. Slowly add milk, whisking continuously until well combined. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking frequently, until sauce begins to thicken (about 1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and seasoning. Stir together. Set aside.
In a cast iron skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Slice tofu 1/2 inch thick and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper. Place tofu in pan with hot oil and pan fry on each side for about 4-5 minutes, until browned. Remove from heat.
- Slice english muffin in half and toast. Top each muffin with a small amount of lettuce and one tomato slice each. Place pan-fried tofu atop each tomato and smother with Hollandaise Sauce. Finish with sliced avocado and serve immediately.
This post contains affiliate links.