Start your day off right with this hearty and wholesome vegan Greek Tofu Scramble. It is made with seasoned tofu, olives, spinach, and fresh tomatoes for a delicious plant based and gluten free meal.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
I love a good tofu scramble.
In fact, if I had to eat just one meal for the rest of my life, I'm 99% certain that I would choose a tofu scramble. With so many variations, there are endless options when it comes to this godsend of a savory breakfast. And no matter how you flavor it, it's going to give you a hearty, protein and veggie-packed meal that will fuel you up for hours.
Tofu scramble, I love you!
On this blog, you'll find a few different ways I like to eat my scrambles. I have my Easy Vegan Scrambled Eggs, Tofu Kale Breakfast Bowl, and this Mexican-style Scramble. Today I've got a new one for you.
It's Greek Tofu Scramble time, baby!
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
This Greek Tofu Scramble is one of my favorite. Not only is it delicious, but it's made with only a handful of ingredients that you likely already have on hand.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Tofu - I suggesting using firm or extra firm tofu for scrambles. You want tofu that will keep some structure when it’s sautéed with the vegetables. Avoid high-protein super firm tofu as they are so firm that you will not get the desired egg-like texture.
- Nutritional Yeast - Nutritional yeast is a common food additive made from deactivated yeast and is common in vegan cooking.
- Tahini Paste
- Lemon - Either fresh lemon or lemon juice concentrate will do.
- Oil - Any high heat oil will do. I recommend coconut or avocado oil.
- Vegetables - I recommend garlic, red onion, red bell pepper, Kalamata olives, spinach, and cherry tomatoes.
- Salt and Pepper
- Black Salt (optional) –Black salt, or Kala Namak, is a salt that is a type of rock salt from South Asia that is high in sulfur. It has a strong smell, due to its sulfur content and provides tofu with an extra eggy flavor. It’s popular with vegan cooking for this reason. Black salt can be hard to find in person, so I buy mine online. (<<affiliate links)
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make a Tofu Scramble
Step One – Prepare the Tofu
To prepare the tofu, first press the water out of the tofu. The tofu does not have to be perfectly dry so rather than using a tofu press, simply squeeze the water out of the tofu by pressing it between your hands.
Once most of the water has been released, crumble the tofu in a bowl along with the nutritional yeast, tahini, salt, and pepper.
Step Two – Sauté the Vegetables
Heat oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they are fragrant and translucent.
Once the onions are cooked, add the bell peppers and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, until the bell peppers are cooked all the way through.
Step Three – Remaining Ingredients
Once the veggies are cooked, add the crumbled tofu, kalamata olives, spinach, and basil cooking it long enough for the tofu to get heated all the way through and the spinach to reduce in size by about 50%.
Serving and Storing
Serving - Divide it between two plates. Top with cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, and vegan parmesan.
Storing - Leftover tofu can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat the scramble, gently reheat it in a skillet over medium heat or in the microwave until it is warm all the way through.
Tips and Tricks
- For best results, mix the tofu, tahini paste, and nutritional yeast by hand. This helps incorporate the flavors more deeply into the tofu.
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu. Avoid silken tofu as it will not hold together well.
- For a more eggy flavor, add a pinch of black salt to the tofu.
More Tofu Scramble Recipes
- Zucchini & Corn Tofu Scramble
- Mexican Tofu Scramble
- Easy Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- Rancheros Tofu Scramble
- Spinach and Mushroom Tofu Scramble
Greek Tofu Scramble
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon tahini paste
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl crumble tofu to the texture of scrambled eggs. Add nutritional yeast, tahini, lemon juice, and salt and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper and garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes until the bell pepper is tender.
- Stir crumbled tofu and Kalamata olives. Heat all the way through, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and basil and stir until spinach has wilted slightly, reducing to about half its size. Remove from heat and stir in cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide onto 2 plates and serve immediately.