Refreshing raw vegan tacos made with seasoned walnut taco “meat”, fresh pico de gallo, and homemade cashew sour cream for a delicious and wholesome meal that can be made in just 30 minutes.
Who could go for some raw vegan tacos right about now? I know I could.
It been cold and snowy in Portland the last several days and what I once looked forward to with so much anticipation – winter – I am now eager to have come to an end. I find myself dreaming back to long summer days, warm nights, freshly picked salads, and lime infused Coronas, all which feel so very far away.
What do I do when the winter won’t end and summer is months away? Lighten the mood with a little warm-weather food, of course!
The 30 day cleanse can be challenging but over the years, I’ve learned a few things that have helped make it a success.
My number one tip is ensuring that your pantry and refrigerator are well stocked with healthy snacks and throw-together meals. In doing so, you can prevent insatiable craving and sudden-onset hanger.*
These tacos are one of my favorite go-to meals for that reason. They require several components – raw walnut taco meat, fresh pico de gallo, and cashew sour cream – but once made they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days making this a super simple light meal or mid-day snack to whip together on the fly throughout the week.
A variation of one of my very early recipes, the raw taco salad, this recipe really is an all-time favorite. Filled with fresh vegetables and proteins and packed with flavor these raw vegan tacos will make you feel like summer is just around the corner.
So hunker down and get through this cold weather with dreams of a summer that will be here before we know it.
Refreshing raw vegan tacos made with seasoned walnut taco "meat", fresh pico de gallo, and homemade cashew sour cream for a delicious and wholesome meal that can be made in just 30 minutes.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt to taste
- 12 leaves of romain lettuce
- 1 avocado
- fresh cilantro
To make the walnut meat, blend all taco meat ingredients in a food processor until walnuts break down into small crumbs. Do not over mix, they will quickly form a paste. Remove from processor and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for pico de gallo and refrigerate until ready to use.
- If making cashew sour cream, drain and rinse the cashews. Transfer to a high-speed blender with remaining sour cream ingredients. Blend until completely smooth. Transfer to small container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble tacos, place 2-3 tablespoons walnut meat on the bottom of a leaf of romain lettuce. Top with pico de gallo, avocado, fresh cilantro, and cashew sour cream. Once assembled, serve immediately.