Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Start your morning off right with this Matcha Oatmeal. It’s creamy and flavorful oatmeal topped with superfoods for a hearty and wholesome vegan breakfast.
Who is dedicated to eating healthy this year?
I am! I am!
After starting off strong with my 30 Day Cleanse, I’m eager and excited to make 2018 my healthiest year yet. Admittedly, it’s hard to eat healthy ALWAYS, nor do I want to; a little decadence here and there is a good thing. But consistently practicing healthy eating habits is an even better thing. That’s why I’m joining Flahavan’s and Slow Food USA in promoting (and committing to) the achievable goal of taking the time to start the day off with a wholesome and healthy breakfast, like this matcha oatmeal.
Who wants to join us?
What Is A Matcha Green Tea?
Matcha green tea originated in Japan. It is made from specially grown green tea leaves that are ground into a fine powder. The tea plants for matcha are shade-grown which allows the plant to produce tea with more caffeine than traditional green tea plants.
Benefits Of Matcha Green Tea
Not only is matcha delicious, but matcha green tea is one of the most beneficial superfoods ever. A few of its benefit’s include
- super high in antioxidants
- detoxifies the body
- boosts metabolism and burns calories
- rich in fiber, vitamin C, and other important minerals
- strengthens the immune system
Now, perhaps, you’re beginning to see why it is one of my favorite superfoods.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Flahavan’s Steel Cut Oats
- Canned Coconut Milk – For a lighter option, use light coconut milk
- Maple Syrup
- Matcha Green Tea Powder – This is the matcha green tea powder I use (<<affiliate link). However, any quality grade matcha will work.
- Vanilla Extract
- Non-Dairy Milk – Your choice!
- Toppings – I recommend a variety of nuts and seeds such as pistachios, cacao nibs, goji berries, shredded coconut
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
Best Oats to Use
Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal is a natural choice for this wholesome and hearty breakfast.
For over 230 years, Flahavan’s has been making oats in the same family mill in Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford. For the last seven generations, they have been dedicated to using the same milling methods, sourcing their oats from the same local family farm, and producing small batch oatmeal that is both responsibly made and incredibly creamy and delicious. They do this all while making it a priority to help consumers discover the importance of a healthy well-balanced lifestyle.
Their dedication to sustainability, health, and quality is why Flahavan’s is my oatmeal of choice.
How to Make Matcha Oatmeal
Step One – Cook the Oatmeal
To make the oatmeal, simply combine the water, coconut milk, and steel-cut oats in a small saucepan. Bring the liquids to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The oats are done when most of the liquid has absorbed and the oats have doubled in size.
Step Two – Add Ingredients
Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes until the oats are thick and creamy. Now it’s time to top the oatmeal with your favorite superfoods and serve!
Serving and Storing
Serve immediately with cacao nibs, pistachios, and goji berries.
Store leftover oatmeal in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply add the oats to a saucepan along with about two tablespoons of water. Stir it together over medium-low heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure! If you opt to use regular oats, I recommend using thick cut old fashioned oats. Thick cut oats will keep their shape and texture better than regular oats. Reduce the water to 1 cup and cook the oats for just about 5 minutes in the liquids before adding the remaining ingredients. Do not cook longer than 10 minutes in total.
The oats are done when the liquid has absorbed and they are thick and creamy.
More Vegan Oatmeal Recipes
- Strawberries & Cream Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Coconut Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Steel Cut Oats
More Vegan Matcha Recipes
- Combine water, coconut milk, and steel cut oats in a saucepan. Cover. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in matcha powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Return cover and simmer for 5-10 more minutes until the liquid has evaporated and the oats are soft and creamy.
- Divide oatmeal into 4 serving bowls and evenly top with pistachios, cacao nibs, goji berries, and coconut. Serve with non-dairy milk of choice and maple syrup.