Make your holidays brighter with this Cinnamon Orange Cranberry Sauce made with fresh orange juice and whole spices for a delightful Thanksgiving dish.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Happy Monday, my friends!
Now it's time for everyone's favorite condiment - cranberry sauce. This Orange Cranberry Sauce is made extra nice by adding fresh orange juice and whole spices for a festive side dish that pairs perfectly with your vegan holiday meals. I think you're going to love it!
I find that many people are often tempted to buy canned cranberry sauce. It's a convenient way to make Thanksgiving Day prep a bit easier. But I'm here to tell you (and listen to me because I LOVE to simplify) make your cranberry sauce at home!
The taste of homemade cranberry sauce is FAR superior to that of store-bought and making it at home does not have to be difficult. It can be made in as few as 3 ingredients and in as little time as 12-15 minutes. When prepping your holiday meal, Orange Cranberry Sauce can be made quickly in the morning and then set aside to cool while preparing the rest.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
This Cinnamon Orange Cranberry Sauce a simple BEAUTIFUL condiment to add to any holiday table that will bring light and joy to your meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cranberries - I recommend fresh cranberries but frozen cranberries can be used in a pinch.
- Sugar - Check out my guide to vegan sugars and alternative sugar replacements. For a healthier sugar alternative, I recommend coconut sugar.
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Spices - You will need ground cinnamon and cloves
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets
How to Make Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Step One - Dissolve the Sugar
Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved and water is boiling.
Step Two - Add Cranberries
Add cranberries, orange juice, cinnamon sticks, and ground cloves. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries begin to burst and a thick sauce has formed about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, remove cinnamon sticks, and let cool completely to room temperature. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve at room temperature
Serving and Storing
Serving - You can make this cranberry sauce up to 1 day in advance. When ready to serve, stir it all together and serve with your holiday meal.
Storing - Store leftover cranberry sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen cranberries for my cranberry sauce?
Yes, you can! When cranberries are seasonal, I prefer to use fresh cranberries. However, you can also use frozen without much difference to the cranberry sauce. Just add the frozen cranberries along with the spices and orange juice and cook according to the instructions.
Uses for Homemade Cranberries Sauce
- Add to vegan yogurt and granola parfaits
- Top your pumpkin pancakes or waffles
- Add to a smoothie
- Use it as a glaze on a portobello steak
- Garnish your pumpkin cheesecake
More Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
- Vegan Parmesan Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"
- Apple and Hazelnut Stuffing
- Maple and Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Mushroom Lentil Loaf
- Classic Pumpkin Pie
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment and rate it below. If you made any substitutions, let us know how it turned out!
Cinnamon Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Rinse cranberries in a colander, removing any bruised and damaged cranberries.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved and water is boiling.
- Once dissolved add cranberries, orange juice, cinnamon sticks, and ground cloves. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries begin to burst and a thick sauce has formed about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove cinnamon sticks, and let cool completely to room temperature. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve at room temperature.