Today is the last day of August and while Fall doesn’t officially start for another 3 weeks, in my world fall begins the first day of September. I’ve had a great summer, as I’ve reflected on recently, but I am SO SO excited for fall; the most wonderful time of the year! I think it’s a fact of life that redheads love autumn.
With fall just around the corner, I am dedicating this post to the many reasons to love this season. So pour yourself a glass of wine (might I suggest this easy-to-love bold and luscious JaM Cabernet?) and join me as we look to see what is in store for us.
Reason To Love Fall Top Ten List
10. Warm weather clothes – gimme all the sweaters, scarves, boots and beanies and I’m one happy gal.
9. Warm homemade chai lattes and chai-spiced scones – chai anything, really.
7. Kids are back in school!
6. Baking season – grab your whisks and mixing bowls, it’s coming for you.
5. Hazelnuts, pumpkins, and dark chocolate. Oh my!
4. Baseball’s Fall Classic – looking for a 2016 repeat.
3. The cool crisp autumn morning air that makes waking up feel so good
2. Dancing in the fallen leaves
1. Cozying up by the fireplace with a crossword and JaM Cellars cabernet.
For today’s post I’m covering 3 of the top ten: cake, chocolate, cabernet. And, for bonus points, I was listening to baseball while photographing this cake.
Let’s take a closer look.
First, let’s talk cake. This vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Zucchini Cake is one of my favorite late summer/early autumn desserts. Made extra moist with zucchini, which is plentiful in everyone’s garden this time of year, and extra decadent with dark chocolate chips and hazelnuts, this cake is the perfect way to commence baking season.
AND it gets even better…
Fall in love with JaM Cellars for a truly decadent and joyful start to Autumn. JaM makes three easy-to-love California wines: Butter Chardonnay, JaM Cabernet, and Toast Sparkling, all delicious, high-quality, and vegan-friendly! I tried both the Butter Chardonnay, a rich and bold wine bursting with flavor and a long, lovely, vanilla finish, and the JaM Cabernet, a bold red with the taste of blackberries, black currant, and plumb – a celebration of lush berries. They were delicious!
The JaM Cab, paired with this Chocolate Hazelnut Zucchini Cake, creates my perfect fall evening. All I need now is a fireplace and crossword for true bliss.
Fall into fall with me. There is so much to love!
- Chocolate Hazelnut Zucchini Cake
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, about 3 medium zucchinis
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 flax eggs*
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Cinnamon Glaze or Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Lightly spray a 10" bundt cake pan.
- In your food processor with the shredder attachment, shred your zucchini and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil and both sugars. Add flax eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Fold in shredded zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet and mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool for 20 minutes before flipping it out onto a wire cooling rack to let cool all the way.
- Top with Cinnamon Glaze or Chocolate Ganache and enjoy with a glass of JaM Cabernet
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter