This Mediterranean chickpea salad is full of fresh ingredients that are so yummy and simple to prepare! Made with tender chickpeas, crunchy fresh cucumbers, robust tomatoes, and bright citrus, this Greek chickpea salad is filled with a combination that is filling, delicious, and healthy! Made in just 10 minutes!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
If you're looking for a veggie-based salad recipe that is colorful, rich in flavor, and simple to prepare– look no further because this recipe encompasses all the above. This avocado chickpea Mediterranean salad is the perfect solution to any easy lunch or dinner because it doesn't require any cooking time and can be made in just 10 minutes!
Not only is it super easy to prepare, but this salad is one you can feel good about! Naturally gluten free and made with whole food ingredients, this filling Greek chickpea salad is great for whenever you're wanting to keep things delicious AND healthy at the same time.
This Greek chickpea bowl is super versatile, perfect for all ages, and is one of the quickest recipes you will ever make! You can ever enjoy this chickpea salad as a sandwich, too!
Ready to dive in? Let's go!
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
This recipe is stress-free and perfect for whenever you're wanting something ASAP! You should be able to find most of these ingredients at your local market or produce store. For the full list of measurements, be sure to scroll down to the recipe card!
Here is everything you need.
- Garlic – I use freshly minced garlic but in a pinch, you can use ground garlic powder.
- Tomatoes – I used cherry tomatoes for this recipe, but any type of tomato will work! You can use any colored tomato, too, such as orange, yellow, or red. Make sure your tomatoes are perfectly ripe by gently pressing the skin of the tomato: there should be a little bit of give and it should be glossy.
- Cucumber – You can use any type of fresh cucumber for this Mediterranean chickpea salad. I like to use pickling or English cucumbers because they are crispy and refreshing. You can either peel the skin off or leave it on.
- Avocado – I like to cube my avocado for this recipe because it adds a bit of texture and creaminess. Be sure your avocado is ripe or the textures will be off. To find the perfect avocado, look for one that is dark green in color and slightly firm, yet soft to the touch.
- Chickpeas – Canned chickpeas are what I like to use because they are quick and easy, but you can use dried chickpeas, too. If using dried beans, measure out ¾ of a cup and soak and cook either in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. To learn more, check out this How to Cook Dried Chickpeas guide!
- Parsley – I use flat leaf parsley but Italian parsley will do. I do not recommend substituting for dried parsley.
Step One - Make the Salad Dressing
First, combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, vigorously shake the dressing ingredients until combined. Alternatively, you can blend the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Pro Tip: Feel free to use any type of neutral oil for this dressing. I also like avocado oil and walnut oil.
Step Two - Prep the Veggies & Assemble
Next, slice and prepare the tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, and green onions. Cut the tomatoes and cucumbers so that they are similarly sized and not much bigger than the chickpeas to ensure that the salad is able to blend together well.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a colander and thoroughly rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a big bowl along with all of the vegetables and stir together. Toss with salad dressing and serve immediately.
Serving and Storing
Serving – Prepare this chickpea salad and serve it immediately or place it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If you are going to be serving this salad later in the day, wait to add the avocado until just before serving. Otherwise the avocado will get brown and slimy.
Storing – Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Tips and Tricks
- Double this recipe and make enough chickpea salad to last you for your weekday lunches!
- Feel free to add vegan feta cheese to this Greek chickpea salad for an extra round of flavor. I highly recommend Violife feta. If you don't have access to Violife, you can make homemade feta.
- Don't add the avocado until you are ready to serve. Avocados brown easily and can affect the taste of this salad.
- Serve this chickpea salad with crackers, on a bed of lettuce, or as a sandwich or wrap with bread or a flour tortilla. '
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! Canned chickpeas do not need to be cooked and can be eaten straight from the can. Just make sure to drain and rinse thoroughly before adding them to the salad.
Honestly, both options are great! I like to use canned chickpeas when I'm short on time. You can easily prepare dried chickpeas by soaking them and cooking them for future recipes. For more information, check out this How to Cook Dried Chickpeas guide.
Unfortunately, chickpeas are not keto-friendly! One chickpea contains a good amount of net carbs! For a keto option, swap out canned chickpeas for roasted cauliflower florets or cubed eggplant.
More Vegan Salad Recipes
Be sure to check out all of my vegan salads for some extra meals in your household!
10-Minute Chickpea Salad
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Begin by combining the ingredients for the homemade red wine vinegar salad dressing. in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, shake until well combined. Alternatively, you can combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until well combined and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Chop and prepare your vegetables. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas and all the vegetables (cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, green onion, and parsley) to a bowl. Stir together. Toss with the salad dressing and serve immediately.
- Feel free to add vegan feta cheese to this Greek chickpea salad for an extra round of flavor. I highly recommend Violife feta. If you don’t have access to Violife, you can make homemade feta.
- Don’t add the avocado until you are ready to serve. Avocados brown easily and can affect the taste of this salad.