Happy Monday, folks
Over the weekend I did something I rarely do. I went out to brunch with myself. I realized that I love brunch and there is no reason that being single should get in the way of this pleasure. So, crossword in hand, I went to one of my favorite brunch spots in Portland, grabbed a seat at the bar, and enjoyed a meal with myself.
It was fantastic.
I’m learning a lot about being single right now. Getting married at a young age didn’t leave room for me to experience this before. I’m not going to sugarcoat anything. You know me; I never do. Many times it’s hard and lonely and most weekends are spent just wishing I had someone to go camping with, but there are also many joys in singleness and that is what I’m choosing to explore thoughtfully and curiously and sometimes, even eagerly.
Wanna know something super cool about this recipe?
The kale came from my own backyard!
I know, I know…to many of you gardening is no big deal but I don’t have the greenest of thumbs, so when something I can actually eat grows out of my garden beds, it’s pretty damn exciting. And so, to honor this kale, I am sharing with you one of my favorite kale salads – this Kale Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing.
Ingredients for Kale Salad
This Kale Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing is inspired by one of my favorite salads at Whole Foods. It’s a simple massaged kale salad with a lemony, garlicky, tahini dressing. For this salad you will need:
- Nutritional Yeast
- Lemon Tahini Dressing
How to make a vegan kale salad
Step one – Massage the kale
The salad starts with massaged kale.
Massaging is an important step when you’re eating kale raw. A simple massage helps break down the leaf’s toughness and bitterness while releasing sweetness and tenderness into the leaves. You will find that any time you’re going to eat kale raw a quick massage will greatly enhance the flavor and texture.
How to massage the kale
Fortunately, massaging kale is really easy. First, you’ll want to chop the kale finely and place it in a large bowl. Next, drizzle it with a little olive oil and salt. I like adding lemon here as well for extra flavor, but that’s not necessary. The oil and salt help break down the leaf’s toughness allowing it to tenderize even more.
As you massage the kale you will notice the leaves get more vibrantly green with a bit of silky shine. The kale will also shrink in volume as the leaves tenderize. (See pictures below)
Step two – Make the Lemon Tahini Dressing
Once the kale is nice and massaged, you’ll then tossed it with a homemade Lemon Tahini Dressing.
This vinaigrette recipe is super straight forward. Simply place all the ingredients for the dressing – that’s the tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic, maple syrup, cumin, and salt – in a small food processor and blend until silky smooth.
Step three – add the cheesy chickpeas
To make the chickpeas, simply place them in a small bowl and toss them with lemon juice, salt, and nutritional yeast.
Add them to the salad and toss together.
Serving and storing the kale salad
- This is a big salad. On its own, it is enough for 4 servings.
- Feel free to swap out different roasted chickpeas such as these bacon-flavored roasted chickpeas.
- Store leftover salad in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Store tahini salad dressing separating for up to 10 days.
- Serve it for lunch on its own or with some creamy tomato soup.
More vegan kale salad recipes
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Warm Kale Salad with Curried Cauliflower
- Kale Salad with Bacon-Flavored Roasted Chickpeas
- Winter Kale Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
I know they all sound delicious but before you head over there, let’s take a look at the recipe below!
This Kale Salad with cheesy chickpeas and Lemon Tahini Dressing is a light and refreshing salad to pair with all your summertime potlucks.
Keyword: Lemon Tahini Dressing
Calories: 81 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Place kale in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and salt and gently massage for 1-2 minutes. Set aside while preparing the remaining salad ingredients.
- Combine all the ingredients for the tahini dressing in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place chickpeas in a small bowl and add lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Stir together.
- Add chickpeas and tahini dressing to kale, toss to combine, and refrigerate until ready to serve.