I’ve mentioned before that I used to love eggs. It’s hard to imagine now but 10 years ago, when transitioning to a vegan diet, eggs were the hardest food to give up. Fortunately, I learned very quickly that there is a vegan alternative to everything. In the past decade especially there has been incredible growth in vegan food options both in the grocery stores and made-at-home techniques to replicate anything.
This vegan egg salad sandwich is no exception. It tastes nearly identical to the egg salads I remember in my pre-vegan days and made from entirely plant-based foods.
It doesn’t get better than that, friends!
This vegan egg salad is not only delicious, it’s incredibly easy to make (like 10 minutes!) and is a fantastic source of vegan protein.
For the base of this salad I use sprouted tofu. Sprouted tofu is made from sprouted soy beans (rather than cooked) for a tofu that is higher in protein, iron, and calcium. In fact, just 3 ounces of sprouted tofu has about 10 grams of protein! Besides being a very healthy food, tofu is a great egg substitute in this recipe because it has a similar texture and will absorb any flavor you add to it.
How great it that?!
This tofu egg salad is also filled with lots of herbs: Italian parsley, dill, and chives and spices such as paprika and garlic for a salad that is fresh, healthy, and full of flavor. Put it in between to slices of toasted seedy bread, and you’ve got yourself one easy and delicious vegan lunch!
- 8 oz extra firm sprouted tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of whole grain bread
- a small handful of mixed greens
- cherry tomatoes
- vegan mayonnaise
- dijon mustard (optional)
- In a medium bowl crumble tofu to a consistency similar to scrambled eggs. Add the remaining egg salad ingredients and mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make sandwiches, toast two pieces of bread. Spread vegan mayonnaise and dijon mustard on the toasted bread. Layer with greens and tomatoes and then top with about 1/2 cup of egg salad. Serve immediately.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter