Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Vegan Pesto Pasta is made with arugula pesto and tossed with sun-dried tomatoes and arugula for a delicious, filling meal the whole family will love. Made in just 30 minutes for an easy weeknight meal.
As November quickly comes to an end I am, once again, forced to confront my annual December temptation.
That is, I want to eat nothing but cookies and sweets and drinking nothing but wine and hot chocolate for the remainder of the year. By the time December 31st rolls around, I am beyond eager to wake up to the new year with another one of my annual traditions: the 30-day cleanse. By that time I am barely enjoying the end of the year festivities as I’m crashing so hard on the sugar-high of the previous month. This year, I’m going to try something different. I’m going adult (aka fewer sweets, more veggies)
So how do I make a healthy, veggie-filled meal while keeping with the Christmas spirit?
Why, this Vegan Pesto Pasta, of course; a beautiful meal of reds and greens. Better yet, this dinner can be thrown together in under 20 minutes without much fuss. It’s the perfect way to fill up on good foods while leaving lots of time for Christmas celebrations.
How to Make Vegan Pesto Pasta
This recipe begins with simple basil & arugula pesto that can be used on everything from pasta to salad to pizza. It can be made in less than 5 minutes and is a great condiment to have on hand. So why not?
Pro tip: Extra pesto can be frozen in ice cube trays for enjoyment throughout the year.
Next is a quick sauté of garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and pine nuts. Any nut can be substituted here. I’ve had this dish with walnuts and hazelnuts before for an equally satisfying experience.
Then stirred all together with some Fusilli pasta (or pasta of choice) and fresh arugula for a delicious vegan Pesto Pasta that can be made in under 30 minutes.
CAN THIS VEGAN PASTA BE GLUTEN-FREE?
Sure! Just swap out the spaghetti for gluten-free spaghetti and you have yourself a gluten-free pasta recipe. This is my favorite brand of gluten-free pasta.
SERVING AND STORING VEGAN PASTA
Serve pesto pasta immediately with fresh basil and vegan parmesan.
As you already know, I’m a HUGE fan of Violife parmesan. It is creamy, melty, and tastes exactly how I remember parmesan to taste. I find their cheeses at Whole Foods but you can also check out this map to find Violife near you. If you don’t have access to Violife, you can make your own parmesan or omit it altogether.
Serve with crusty bread and a vegan caesar salad.
Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently reheat the pasta over the stove with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
MORE VEGAN PASTA RECIPES
I am a huge fan of vegan pasta. Here are a few of my favorite recipes:
- Skinny Creamy Garlic Sauce Pasta
- Vegan Pesto Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Bechamel Sauce
- Penne Pasta with Vegan Vodka Sauce
- Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
Well, that’s it! Everything you need to make the perfect vegan pasta recipe. Ready to get started? Let’s take a look at the recipe card below.
Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Fill a large pot with at least 6 cups of water and place over medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in pasta. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally until pasta is cooked all the way through. Strain through a colander, rinse and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, make the arugula pesto. Combine basil, arugula, macadamia nuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse for a minute, scraping down the sides as needed. With the motor running, slowly add in the olive oil. Blend well. Salt to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic, and pine nuts, stirring frequently until garlic is fragrant and pine nuts have begun to brown. Remove from heat and stir in pasta and pesto, until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Stir in fresh arugula and serve immediately.