Enjoy the sweet and tart flavors of this vegan pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. Tossed with toasted garlic and pinenuts, this vegan pasta is the perfect 30-minute weeknight meal.
Now that we are in the heart of spring, I’ve got garden-grown veggies on my mind. I know, I know, tomatoes and basil aren’t going to be ready for months but pretty soon we will be getting some leafy greens and sugar peas and that’s when all the magic begins.
As you may know, I love my vegan pasta and summer veggies. Among my favorites are this Vegan Pesto Pasta with Summer Squash and Zucchini and this One Pot Garlic White Wine Pasta with Peas. And despite not being able to use garden-fresh veggies, this Roasted Tomato and Basil Vegan Pasta recipe is now among my favorite spring and summertime meals.
It’s a simple pasta recipe made with roasted cherry tomatoes, sautéed garlic and pine nuts, and fresh basil – sweet, tart, and delicious!
Recommended Ingredients and Equipment
This tomato basil pasta is not only delicious, but it is also super simple to make! This whole meal can be made in about 30 minutes with just a handful of ingredients.
Here is everything you’ll need.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Spaghetti – I prefer thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta but any type of pasta will do for this recipe. You can also use a gluten free pasta if you prefer.
- Olive Oil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Pine Nuts – These can be omitted if you want a nut-free pasta.
- Sun-dried Tomatoes – I prefer the oil-packed variety for this recipe. These can also be omitted and replaced with about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce.
- Fresh Basil
- Spices – You will need a combination of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Vegan Parmesan – I recommend Violife parmesan. It is creamy, melty, and tastes exactly how I remember parmesan to taste. If you don’t have access to Violife, you can make your own parmesan.
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Vegan Tomato Pasta
Step One – Roast the Tomatoes
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the tomatoes at 400F for about 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes are wilted, lightly charred, and fragrant.
Step Two – Prepare the Pasta
While the tomatoes are roasting, it’s time to prepare the pasta. First, make the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Strain the cooked spaghetti through a colander and toss it with a bit of olive oil. This prevents the noodles from clumping together.
Step – Three – Sauce the Veggies
In a skillet heat up another tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and pine nuts until they garlic and pine nuts are toasted and everything is rich and fragrant.
Add the noodles to your skillet along with your roasted tomatoes and fresh garlic. Mix it up and serve!
Serving and Storing
Serving – Serve tomato pasta immediately with fresh basil and vegan parmesan. Serve with crusty bread and a vegan caesar salad.
Storing – Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently reheat the pasta over the stove with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure! Just swap out the spaghetti for gluten-free spaghetti and you have yourself a gluten-free pasta recipe.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Skinny Creamy Garlic Sauce Pasta
- Vegan Pesto Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Bechamel Sauce
- Lemon Pepper Mediterranean Pasta
- Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
Vegan Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes and Basil
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them on the parchment paper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are soft and fragrant.
- In a large skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 60 seconds. Add minced sun-dried tomatoes and pinenuts and sauté for another 2 minutes until pine nuts are lightly toasted.
- Finely chop the basil. Add the cooked pasta, basil, and roasted tomatoes to the skillet. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil and vegan parmesan (if using).