This vegan creamed spinach recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and so easy to make! Make this recipe with fresh spinach, garlic, onion, and dairy-free butter for the best creamed spinach recipe.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Learning how to make creamed spinach has never been easier! Savory, warm, fragrant, and healthy, this easy creamed spinach recipe is a delicious side dish to serve alongside your favorite vegan main courses such as pasta, casseroles, and veggies or as a side to your holiday meals.
Best of all? This recipe is easy, quick, and ready in under 10 minutes!
This recipe for creamed spinach is a great option for those who are wanting to eat their leafy greens. Flavors of nutmeg, cream, and garlic are mixed and simmered with the rich flavors of spinach. So tasty!
Recommended Ingredients & Equpiment
This recipe is made with just a handful of simple ingredients that are easy to find in most well-stocked grocery stores. You will love how quickly this recipe is prepared!
Here is everything you need.
- Butter: Use a high-quality vegan butter. My favorite brands of vegan butters are Miyokos and Earth Balance.
- Onion: One white onion is used for sautéeing in this recipe. Feel free to get creative and use different types of onions for different flavors.
- Cream: Any kind of dairy-free cream will be great for this recipe as long as it is unsweetened and unflavored. Alternatively, you can use cashew cream.
- Nutritional Yeast: Flaky nutritional yeast is a great way to add extra flavor to any savory vegan recipe. Similar to parmesan, nutrititional yeast adds depth and extra nutrients.
- Spinach: Fresh spinach is best for this recipe.
Step One – Sauté the Onions
First, in a large nonstick skillet, melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until fragrant, soft, and translucent, about three minutes.
Add the freshly minced garlic and cook for another minute until the garlic is fragrant.
Pro Tip: Be careful not to burn the garlic. This is very easy to do if the heat is up too high!
Step Two – Add the Cream and Spinach
Next, add the vegan cream, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the skillet. Stir until the ingredients are well combined. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and allow it to cook for a few minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cooks.
Once the cream is slightly thickened, add the spinach into the cream sauce and mix until combined. Cook the spinach for an additional minute until soft and wilted.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serving and Storing
Storing – Store the leftover spinach in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three days. Reheat the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave or warm in a skillet on the stovetop.
Tips & Tricks
- If the spinach is too watery, cook it over medium-low heat for a few extra minutes until the excess liquid evaporates.
- Add chopped fresh or sun-dried tomatoes for extra flavor.
- For protein or extra flavor, add some crispy homemade tempeh bacon.
- Make this recipe ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe for creamed spinach is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and healthy! Some versions of this side dish have dairy so be extra cautious when trying new recipes.
While you can, I don't recommend it. Frozen spinach loses a lot of it's flavor and texture. Fresh is best!
If I need to thicken this recipe, then I use cornstarch or arrowroot powder. Another option is to use all-purpose flour.
More Vegan Side Dishes
- Classic Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Cinnamon Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheesy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Make sure to check out all my vegan side dishes for more inspiration.
Vegan Creamed Spinach
- 28 ounces spinach fresh
- 1 White onion diced
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 ½ Cup Vegan cream
- ½ Cup unsweetened plant based milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper and nutmeg
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and add the onion. Sauté until softened and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for a few seconds until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add the vegan cream, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Bring to a low simmer and cook for a few minutes. The sauce should thicken slightly as it cooks.
- Add the spinach into cream sauce until evenly combined, cooking for an additional minute or so until the spinach is wilted all the way through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. (If the spinach seems a little watery, cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes until any excess liquid evaporates.)