These healthy Carrot Muffins are sweetened naturally and filled with fruits and veggies for a delicious and healthy morning pastry. Don’t start your day without one!
I am excited to share with you today’s recipe. These healthy carrot muffins are one of my favorite muffin recipes of all time. Naturally sweetened and filled with fruits and vegetables, what’s not to love?! Oh, did I mention, they are delicious to boot!
This recipe is inspired by a muffin at one of my favorite (late) vegan bakeries, Dovetail Bakery, which sadly closed down several years ago.
Since then I have been diligently working to recreate their recipes at home as to not let such a wonderful bakery be forgotten forever. See: Chocolate Chip Walnut Scones if you want a real treat.
These healthy carrot muffins are a variation of a muffin recipe Dovetail Bakery carried many years back. When I worked in the Whole Foods bakery – a lifetime ago – we would get these incredible carrot muffins delivered several times a week. Those were my favorite mornings in the bakery. I can still remember the delicious, comforting smell of buttery cinnamon spices that hit me when I first opened the lid to that box.
Oh sweetly spiced carrot muffins, how I loved you!
HOW TO MAKE Vegan Carrot Muffins
Like all my vegan muffin recipes, these carrot muffins are super simple to throw together. Just follow these simple steps:
STEP ONE – MIX TOGETHER THE DRY INGREDIENTS.
That’s the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt. Whisk it together until everything is uniformly combined.
STEP TWO – SHRED THE CARROTS
Using the shredding attachment of your food processor or handheld grater, shred the carrots. Add the carrots to your wet ingredients and combine
STEP THREE – COMBINE WET AND DRY INGREDIENTS
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix in until the flour is evenly hydrated. Gently fold in the walnuts.
STEP FOUR – BAKE THE VEGAN ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
Generously spray a muffin tin. Fill each muffin mold 3/4 of the way full and bake for 25 minutes.
That’s it. It really doesn’t get much easier than that!
WHY I LOVE THESE CARROT MUFFINS
Similar to my zucchini muffins, these muffins are incredibly moist. Carrots are an automatic egg replacer meaning there are no weird or hard to find ingredients in this recipe.
Additionally, this is also a very straight-forward recipe. Some quickbread recipes can be a bit tricky with textures and baking times, but these carrot muffins are nearly fool-proof and can be thrown together in just about 10 minutes. Whip it up, throw it in the oven, then sit back and relax.
And these carrot muffins are a great use for all that excess carrots you’re gonna have growing wild in your garden pretty soon.
Oh, and of course, they are bursting with delicious flavor in every bite for a veggie-packed muffin that tastes just like a carrot cake.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT VEGAN CARROT MUFFINS:
- Do not over-mix the batter. Mix until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined to prevent extra gluten from forming, making the pastries gummy. A few lumps are okay.
- Generously spray your muffin tins or use cupcake holders to ensure the muffins don’t stick to the pan.
- Let the muffins cool 10 minutes in the muffin tin before flipping them onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Otherwise, they may break apart as they finish setting.
- Store uneaten muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Ore store them in the freezer for up to one month. Just pull them out the night before to let them thaw completely before chowing down.
More vegan muffin RECIPES
Love vegan muffins as much as I do? Make sure to check out some of my favorites:
- Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
You’re going to love these vegan carrot muffins. They are lightly sweetened, dense and moist, and filled with sweet and spicy flavors, they are the perfect morning pastry to get you energized and excited about the day.
These healthy Carrot Muffins are sweetened naturally and filled with fruits and veggie for a delicious and healthy morning pastry.
Keyword: Healthy Carrot Muffins
Servings: 12 muffins
Calories: 231 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper baking cups. Spray the inside of the cups with cooking oil.
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a food processor with the shredder blade, shred 2-3 carrots. Alternatively, you can shred by hand until you have 1 rounded cup. Combine carrots with the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in walnuts.
- Scoop batter into prepared baking cups, filling each on to the top. Top with more walnuts if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 1 month.