Sweet and crunchy homemade cherry almond granola filled with nuts and fruits for a hearty and healthy breakfast. Easy and delicious!
I’m going to be honest with y’all. It’s been a rough couple of weeks.
Jason has been traveling a lot for work, leaving me to single parent the two babes. This gives me the utmost respect and awe for full-time single parents while simultaneously making me go totally crazy. A few days of 24/7 parenting and suddenly I am a complete and utter basket case. Then there’s the napping issue. Eden has decided she’s over napping which is problematic for a number of reasons.
1) she can get into a lot of trouble when she’s alone in her room and not sleeping (example: there was a moment this week when I was washing poop out of her hair and scrubbing it from off the headboard of her bed).
2) she’s not ready to be over napping and by dinnertime she is in full on terrible twos tantrum-mode.
3) I’m not ready for her to be over napping. It was my special time to get work done and while the blogging schedule I kept has become unrealistic, it is hard to give up the couple hours of creative time I had each day.
But perhaps the largest stress of all is what’s been going on with the blog.
I’m sure some of you have noticed that things have been a bit broken around here. Two days before I unplugged myself from the internet I experienced a major blog catastrophe. An unfortunate and costly misstep from my hosting site, while migrating The Sweet Life to a different server, caused at least 70% of the images on this blog to go missing. I’m not going to get into the numerous hair-pulling, teeth-grinding, tear-inducing conversations that ensued but despite their alleged weekly back-up of my website, the pictures have disappeared into the black hole of the internet.
I now have a food/photography blog with hundreds of missing images that each need to be uploaded one post at a time.
So as you can imagine, it’s been a stressful and frustrating few weeks.
I hesitated to write about this on the blog because I work hard to keep things pretty positive around here. With everything going on in the world, why not keep the perspective dial on the ‘+’ side. However (and unfortunately), the things that have been going on will be reflected in the blog and I wanted you to know why you may come across posts with no images or why my posting may become slightly less frequent, or why I’m not responding to your emails and comments right away.
It’s not because I don’t love you.
Anyway, going through these old posts has been like opening a time capsule – a sad and slightly embarrassing time capsule. I cringe a little at the poorly shot photographs, cheesy writing, and sometimes (oh, I hate to admit this) bad recipes. Well now is my chance to fix up some of those wonky early posts – those written before I knew anything about blogging, writing a recipe, or food photography, such as this Cherry Almond Granola.
This Almond Granola actually comes from the first blog I started, Line Drawings, which quickly morphed into The Sweet Life. Here is the original post, in case you’re interested. This granola was, in fact, the very first recipe I ever wrote, photographed, and shared.
And it was definitely in need of a little makeover.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine oats, coconut, ground flaxseeds, and salt. In a small sauce pan heat the coconut oil, agave nectar, brown sugar, and water, stirring until sugar has completely dissolved. Removed from heat, add almond extract, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Slowly add oat mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing while adding until all the oats are fully hydrated. Mix in almonds and spread evenly over both baking trays.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until oats are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cherries, breaking apart the larger clumps of granola as needed, then allow it to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
This post contains affiliate links.