Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This vegan pot de créme is so unbelievably rich, and creamy that no one will believe they are vegan! Made cashews mixed with chocolate, Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative, and maple syrup, this classic recipe will have you asking for more.
When I first went vegan (nearly 14 years ago!), there were only a handful of brands making vegan products. That meant there were very limited options for non-dairy yogurt, ice cream, milk, creamer, etc. Despite the market’s limitations, there was one brand that had those early vegans covered: Silk.
And over the past 14 years, Silk has been improving and expanding its products, making them one of my favorite brands for non-dairy alternatives. So, as you can imagine, I was SO was excited when I first learned of Silk’s newest plant-based products:
Two ultra-creamy (seriously are out of this world creamy!), soy-free alternatives that you can find at your local Walmart. By using Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative and Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative, this incredibly decadent chocolate pot de créme also becomes dairy and soy-free for a rich vegan dessert that nearly anyone can enjoy.
What is Pot de Creme?
Pot de créme is a classic dessert custard that originated in France. The name literally means” pot of cream” because they are served out of white porcelain cups or ramekins.
Traditionally this dessert is made with eggs, cream, milk, and chocolate. Sound hard to veganize? Not at all! By using one of my favorite egg replacers for custards, cashews, and combining it with Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative, we get an unbelievably rich and creamy custard that NO ONE will believe is vegan.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
There are only a handful of ingredients in this Chocolate Pot de Créme. Because of that, each ingredient is key and we must choose the highest quality.
Ingredients & Substutions
- Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative– I highly recommend this product because the creaminess and flavor are truly out of this world! In addition to great flavor and texture, Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative is made from a combination of oat and coconut milk that is gluten-free, non-GMO certified, vegan, and cholesterol and sugar-free!
- Raw Cashews – Raw cashews, soaked and ground to a VERY SMOOTH cream, have very similar properties – high in fat and protein – to whipped egg yolks making it one of my favorite ways to make custards. Virtually flavorless, the cashew nut remains a hidden ingredient, taking on the flavors surrounding it while adding extra creaminess and body.
- Cacao Powder & Bittersweet Chocolate– I use a combination of cocoa powder and melted bittersweet chocolate to give depth to the chocolatey flavors of this amazing pot de creme.
- Maple Syrup – Rather than sweetening with sugar, I use maple syrup for these vegan chocolate custards. Maple syrup is lower on the glycemic index and adds the perfect creamy consistency to this decadent dessert.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative – I was truly blown away when I first used this product. It whips like dairy (look at the photo below) and tastes INCREDIBLE. This heavy whipping cream alternative is gluten-free, keto and vegan-friendly, non-GMO certified, and contains 0g of sugar.
Most importantly, you will need a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix. These blenders can be pricy, but my Vitamix is, by far, the most used gadget in my kitchen. Most other blenders are simply not powerful enough to create a cream out of cashews.
In addition, you should also have 4 ramekins and a piping bag with tips. (<<affiliate links)
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Vegan Pots de Creme
Step One – Blend the Ingredients
Drain and rinse the cashews and melt your chocolate. Combine all the ingredients for the pot de créme base in a high-powered blender.
Pro Tip: Using a strong blender is necessary in order to completely puree the cashews. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, I recommend soaking the cashews overnight and processing them in a food processor.
Blend until you have a smooth, pourable pudding.
Step Two – Chill the Custard
Pour the vegan chocolate custard into four (3 oz) ramekins and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours until the custard has set up. It should have a slight wobble but be fairly thick.
Step Three – Make the Whipping Cream
Add 1/2 cup of Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative to a chilled metal bowl. Using a handheld mixer (this can also be done in a stand-up mixer with the whip attachment) whip the Silk Dairy-Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative, along with granulated sugar and vanilla extract to medium peak. This takes about 3-4 minutes, depending on the strength of your mixer. Chill until ready to use.
Once the pot de créme is firm, remove it from the refrigerator, top with dairy-free whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and serve immediately.
Serving and Storing
Serving – Let the custard set up for at last two hours in the refrigerator. Serve as part of a romantic meal for two or at your next dinner party.
Storing – Tightly wrap any uneaten vegan custard and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- This custard is not the same without Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative and Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative. I haven’t found anything quite as delicious and creamy on the market and, in 14 years, NEVER seen a product whip up like Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative. It’s a game-changer! Make sure to head on over to your local Walmart and pick some up ASAP!
- Make sure to soak your cashews at least 30 minutes. If you do not have a high-powered blender, the cashews should be soaked overnight. Blend them, along with the remaining ingredients, until you have a completely smooth pourable custard.
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Pudding
- 5-Ingredient Healthy Chocolate Pudding
- Fudgy Zucchini Brownies
- Lemon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Classic Vegan Pound Cake
Vegan Pot de Creme
Pots de Creme
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup Silk Dairy-Free Half & Half Alternative
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Place in a high-speed blender along with the remaining pot de creme ingredients. Blend until completely smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. This may take 2-3 minutes, depending on the power of your blender.
- Pour the chocolate custard into 4 small ramekins. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, until chilled all the way through.
- To make the Silk Dairy-Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative, pour 1/2 cup into a chilled bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla extract. Using a handheld mixer whisk the mixture until it starts to resemble whipped cream. This takes 3-4 minutes. Chill until ready to use.
- When the pot de créme is ready, pipe or spoon a dollop of Silk's Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative on top of each pot de creme. Add chocolate shavings (optional) and serve immediately. Tightly wrap any uneaten pot de creme and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.