Whip this vegan broccoli cheese soup up in minutes for a hearty, creamy, and so very cheesy way to warm up on a cold winter day. Made with fresh broccoli and vegan cheese sauce for a delicious holiday soup.
Growing up my family did most of our holiday celebrating Christmas eve. After an evening service at church we would come home to a simple soup dinner. Once the bowls were scraped clean, the last of the Christmas cookies would come out and we would gather around the tree to open presents. Christmas eve was where the magic happened and it’s a tradition I want to pass on to my kids.
Oh, and that simple soup dinner I mentioned? Every year it was the same soup that we saved for only this special occasion. Have you figured out what the soup was?
You bet! Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup.
I haven’t had Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup since I was a child and never, in 10+ years, attempted to veganize it. But with Christmas Eve nearly upon us, I decided this would be the year that I would bring back that childhood tradition for my own children.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
This Broccoli Cheese Soup is made with just a handful of ingredients that you likely already have on hand. The ingredients include:
- yellow onion
- vegetable broth
- soy milk
- vegan cheddar cheese
- nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
Plus optional toppings such as:
- caramelized onions
- fresh broccoli
That’s it! Now let’s take a look at how to make this delicious vegan soup.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN Broccoli Cheese SOUP
This vegan broccoli cheese soup is super simple to make. It can be made in just one pot in under 30 minutes. Let’s look at this step by step.
STEP ONE: GRAB YOUR BEST SOUP POT
When it comes to soup pots, I love my Dutch Oven from Le Creuset for soups. Made from cast iron, they are perfect for slow cooking and simmering soups and stews. My Dutch Oven is one of the most useful and versatile kitchen tools I have and although it’s a bit pricey, you will use this one over and over again (for soups, stews, sides, bread, and even desserts!) and it will last you a lifetime.
Plus they come in all different colors! Check them out here.
While any soup pot will do, when I have loved and trusted kitchen items, I like to share them with you. As a minimalist, I prefer few, high-quality, multi-functional products and I know many of you share that value. Besides, the holidays are upon us and I know some of you are thinking about gifts for your loved ones.
STEP TWO – MAKE THE SOUP BASE
In a medium soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until onions are translucent and fragrant. Meanwhile, peel and chop potato and broccoli florets. Add potato and broccoli (reserving about 1 cup of broccoli) to soup and sauté another 3-4 minutes.
Add broth and milk and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and potatoes are tender.
STEP THREE – FINISH IT UP
Stir in vegan cheese and nutritional yeast. Using an immersion blender (or food processor) blend soup until thick and creamy. Stir in reserved broccoli. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately with fresh broccoli and pan-fried onions.
SERVING AND STORING BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- This soup can be eaten immediately once it’s ready. It just takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Serve with caramelized onions, fresh chives, vegan sour cream, and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve this broccoli cheese soup with a big salad or artisan bread.
- Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. To serve frozen soup, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Once it’s mostly thawed, gently reheat the soup in a small soup pot.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
Do you love soup as much as I do? Then make sure to check out these other wildly popular vegan soups.
That’s everything you need to know about making the perfect vegan potato soup. Let’s give it a go!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment and rate it below.
If you made any substitutions, let us know how it turned out!
Keyword: Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Calories: 271 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 16 oz fresh or frozen broccoli, chopped and divided
- 1 large russet potato
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 8 oz vegan cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pan-fried onions
- fresh broccoli florets
- In a large soup pan heat vegan butter and coconut oil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add onions and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop potato and broccoli florets. Add potato and broccoli (reserving about 1 cup of broccoli) to soup and sauté another 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth and milk and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in vegan cheese and nutritional yeast.
- Using an immersion blender (or food processor) blend soup until thick and creamy. Stir in reserved broccoli. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with fresh broccoli and pan-fried onions.