This vegan and gluten-free grilled flatbread features beautifully caramelized onions, sun dried figs, and fresh arugula. It is grilled perfection for a delicious and wholesome summer meal.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Are you looking for a tasty, yet healthy recipe to enjoy on the grill this summer?
Look no further than this grilled flatbread with caramelized onions and figs. You will be thrilled to find that treating yourself to delicious grilled food doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice health.
This homemade flatbread recipe is a total game changer for entertaining, date night, or family dinner. The tasty almond flour crust is the perfect base for one of my favorite flavor combinations: caramelized onions and figs. So good!
And it will be sure to impress. It looks and tastes like something could order at an upscale restaurant but it is a lot easier than you might think to put together.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
Most of the ingredients for this gluten-free flatbread are from iHerb. iHerb is a convenient solution to a lot of my cooking needs. Read more about what iHerb has to offer and why I use them below.
Here is everything you need.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pizza Dough – iHerb’s Simple Mills Almond Flour Mix Pizza Dough creates a delicious gluten free and vegan flatbread base.
- Oil – This is for the crust. I recommend extra virgin olive oil.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Onion – Yellow or white onions work best.
- Figs – iHerb carries St. Dalfour Luscious Figs. They are tender, sweet, and perfect for this recipe.
- Walnuts – I recommend unsalted Now Foods’ Raw Walnuts.
- Walnut Oil – iHerb carries high quality La Tourangelle’s Roasted Walnut Oil that I love to have on hand. It takes this flatbread to the next level.
- Balsamic Vinegar Reduction –Fini Modena’s Reduction of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena takes the work out of making your own balsamic reduction and it tastes AMAZING.
- Arugula – You could swap this out for fresh spinach or kale.
- Vegan Cheese (optional) – Look for a soft artisan vegan cheese to replicate feta or goat cheese
You will need an electric, gas, or even charcoal grill, a large skillet, mixing bowl, a sharp knife, cutting board, whisk, cooking spoon, and pan lined with parchment paper.
What Is iHerb?
iHerb is an online store filled with over 30,000 natural and organic products ranging from home, beauty, food, pets, supplements, personal care, and more.
iHerb carries top-quality brands – ones that you probably recognize – and ships from climate-controlled distribution centers to ensure quality products to over 150 countries around the world!
Not only do they have everything I want, but also their shipping is fast and their prices are great. iHerb is convenient, affordable, and I am certain to get top-quality ingredients. The items were fresh, top quality, and took this flatbread recipe to the next level.
How iHerb Works
Picking out items at iHerb is super easy. Because they only carry the best brands, you don’t have to look through a lot of products to find the good ones. Simply type in what you’re looking for in the search bar and review your selections.
Once you fill up your cart, review it, select shipping and payment methods, and you’re good to go. iHerb offers customer service 24 hours a day/7 days a week in 10 different languages, making it an easy and convenient online shopping experience.
Mini Grocery Haul
One of the best features of iHerb is the Vegan Grocery Section. I love to shop for many of my non-perishable foods here. By shopping in the vegan grocery section of iHerb, I can grab my favorite snacks and staples without having to spend time reading all the ingredients. And from the comfort of my own home. It’s a win-win!
This past mini grocery haul included some of my favorite items such as:
- Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Now Foods Organic Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter & Co. Old Fashioned Peanut Butter
- Now Foods Raw Cashew
- Enjoy Life Soft Baked Cookies
I highly recommend trying iHerb for yourself. New and returning customers will get a discount off their first iHerb order with no minimum purchase.
How to Make Vegan Grilled Flatbread
Step One – Make the Flatbread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. As it heats, whisk together the water, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. When it is well incorporated, add in the almond flour baking mix and stir until the dough is completely hydrated.
If the dough is crumbly, add a small amount of water one tablespoon at a time until the dough is no longer crumbly. Add water slowly as to not make the dough too wet.
Once it is mixed, roll the dough out onto a parchment lined pan. The dough should be about 1/8th inch thick. Par-bake the crust for 15 minutes.
Step Two – Caramelize the Onions
Caramelized onions take a little bit of time, but they are so worth it. The caramelization process slowly pulls out the natural flavors of the onion, making them intensely sweet and flavorful.
To make caramelized onions, first coat the bottom of a heavy-bottomed sauté pan with olive oil. Heat it over medium-low heat and add the sliced onions. Cook the onions slowly, stirring them every few minutes. After 10 minutes, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes until onions have reduced in size and are caramel in color.
Pro Tip: Slice the onions thin for best results. If the onions are too thick, they will take a lot longer to caramelize.
Step Three – Grill and Finish
Preheat your electric or outdoor grill to 450 degrees F. You can use a charcoal grill, just make sure you use enough coal to bring the temperature up to 450 degrees.
As the grill heats, brush walnut oil over both sides of the par-baked flatbread. When the grill is ready, grill on one side for 4 to 5 minutes and then flip the flatbread.
Spoon on an even layer of the caramelized onions. Top with figs, walnuts, and vegan cheese (if using). Replace the cover on the grill and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Once the crust is cooked all the way through and toppings are heated, you can remove the flatbread from the grill.
To finish, top with walnut oil, balsamic reduction and fresh arugula. Serve immediately.
Serving and Storing
Serve the grilled flatbread fresh and hot from the grill. It is a perfect appetizer to share if you cut it into small pieces. You should be able to pick it up easily and eat with your hands.
Store the flatbread in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before storing, let it cool down to room temperature. You can wrap it in cellophane, place it in a large sealable bag, or place in an airtight container. You can reheat it again on the grill or in a conventional oven or toaster oven.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t over bake the flatbread in the oven. You only need to partially bake the flatbread, it will finish baking on the grill.
- Slice the onions thin for best results. If the onions are really thick, they will take a lot longer to caramelize.
- Watch the flatbread on the grill. Make sure you don’t leave the flatbread on the grill for too long, it can burn if you forget about it.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can add additional greens, like spinach or kale. You could also add grilled zucchini, mushrooms, or eggplant for a veggie heavy meal.
White, yellow, and sweet onions work very well. I try to avoid red onions.
No, you can skip the vegan cheese if you prefer. I find it adds a bit of extra creaminess and saltiness to the topping, but not everyone loves vegan cheese so it is really up to you.
The Simple Mills Almond Flour Mix Pizza Dough from iHerb that I use is naturally gluten free and adds incredible flavor to this flatbread recipe.
More Vegan Recipes Featuring iHerb
Grilled Flatbread w/ Caramelized Onions and Figs
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4-5 St. Dalfour, Luscious Figs, cut in half
- 2 tbsp. Now Foods Raw Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. soft vegan cheese, optional
- 1 large handful fresh arugula
- 1-2 tsp. Reduction of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1-2 tsp. La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil
- pinch of sea salt
- Start by making the crust. Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large bowl, whisk together the water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Add the pizza dough mix and mix until the dough is completely hydrated. Note: You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water if your dough is crumbly.
- Roll the dough out on a parchment lined baking sheet so that it is about 1/8 inch thick. Par-bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is cooking, caramelize the onions. Thinly slice the onion. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onions slowly, stirring them every few minutes. After 10 minutes, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes until onions have reduced in size and are caramel in color. Remove from heat.
- Preheat your grill to 450. You can either use an outdoor grill or an electric grill. Brush walnut oil over both sides of the par-baked flatbread and grill on one side for 4-5 minutes. Flip the flatbread. Top it with an even layer of caramelized onions, figs, walnuts, and vegan cheese (if using). Cover the grill and cook for another 4-5 minutes. When the crust is cooked all the way through and the toppings are heated, removed from the grill.
- Top with walnut oil, balsamic reduction, and fresh arugula. Serve immediately.