Heat the coconut oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and garlic and sauté until golden and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
While onions are sautéing, crumble the tofu in a small bowl with your fingers. Stir in the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, spices. Add tofu mixture to onions and cook for 2-3 more minutes, until tofu is heated all the way through. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve immediately with fresh chives, vegan cheese, or homemade salsa.
Serving and Storing - Serve these vegan eggs with toast, roasted potatoes, or a breakfast salad. Top with fresh chives, vegan cheese (I LOVE Violife cheddar shreds), or homemade salsa. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, gently reheat over the stovetop at medium-low heat.
- Dice your onions small. The onions add flavor but it should be subtle.
- Mix the tofu and nutritional yeast by hand. This helps incorporate the flavors more deeply into the tofu.
- For a more eggy flavor, add a pinch of black salt to the tofu.
- Use water-packed firm or extra-firm tofu. Avoid silken and high-protein tofus as they will not give you the desired texture.
- Mix it up with different vegetables! I love adding red bell pepper, zucchini, and tomatoes to my scrambled eggs.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg