- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon chives, chopped
- juice from ½ lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers
- ½ cup water
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup aquafaba (bean brine)
Carefully slice your avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, spoon out the avocado fruit, leaving only the thick peel behind. Lightly mash the avocado and place it in the food processor.
Drain a can of chickpeas into a clean container. Measure out ¼ cup of the brine and set aside. This is your aquafaba. Return the rest of the brine to the chickpeas and store for later use in the refrigerator.
In a food processor combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the aquafaba. Pulse a few times to combine. Scrape down the sides and, with the motor running, slowly add the aquafaba into the food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary.
Use immediately as a dip or on your favorite salad or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Serving and Storing - Serve this Green Goddess Dressing immediately on your favorite salads, zoodles, or buddha bowls. Store leftover dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is aquafaba and do I have to use it? Aquafaba is the brine from canned chickpea. Traditionally aquafaba is whipped up and used as a replacement for egg whites. When aquafaba is not whipped up, it makes an amazing alternative to oil. If you would rather, you can use oil or water as a substitution.
- If you buy your avocados before they are ripe, let them sit out at room temperature for a couple of days until they are slightly soft to pressure. Once they are ready, you can stick ripe avocados in the refrigerator to allow them to last longer.
- If you don’t have chickpeas, you can use the brine of other beans as aquafaba. Just note, it may change the color of the dressing as other bean liquid tends to be darker in color.
- This recipe is highly versatile. Feel free to taste and adjust seasonings after blended together.
Calories: 45kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 780IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg