- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- zest of ½ lemon
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a mini tart pan with oil and set aside. You can also use (4) 4" tart shells. To make the crust, beat the vegan butter with a hand mixer or in a stand-up mixer until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes), scraping the sides as needed. Add powdered sugar and beat again for another 2-3 minutes until well blended. Scrap down the sides and add flour and lemon zest. Mix on low until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
Place about 2 tablespoons of dough in each tart mold. Press down evenly on the sides and bottom so that dough is between ⅛-14" thick. If you are using 4" tart shells, roll the dough out on a floured surface to the same thickness. Cut circles slightly larger than molds and place inside greased tart pans, pressing lightly all around to snugly fill the mold.
Poke holes in the bottom of the dough and chill dough in the freezer for at least 15 minutes while making the filling.
To make the filling, scoop out the solids from the coconut milk (top ½ of the can) into a medium-sized bowl. Add vegan cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla and blend with a hand mixer until completely smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Remove dough from the freezer and bake for 15-20 minutes until the dough starts to become golden around the edges. Remove from the oven. Let tart shells cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Scoop or pipe cream cheese filling into tart shells, about ⅔ full, and spread evenly.
Top with fresh berries and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. These are best made the same day.
Serving and Storing - These vegan fruit tarts are best eaten the same day. Once they are assembled, the tart shell will start to get soggy.
Make in Advance - If you do want to make them in advance, you can make the crust and cream cheese filling up to two days in advance. Store them separately. The filling should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The tart shells should be covered and stored at room temperature. When ready to eat, just assemble and serve!
- Do not over mix the dough. Once you add the flour, mix it until it just starts coming together. At that point, turn it out onto a floured work surface and bring it together with your hands.
- Chill your dough. Make sure to chill your dough for at least 15 minutes before baking it. This is so the butter will hold up in the oven and the cookie will keep the shape.
- Bake at a lower temperature. For that soft center with a slightly crisp outside, don’t put your oven above 325F.
- Do not overbake. Once those edges have just begun browning pull them out. The cookie will continue to harden as it cools.
- Get them cooling. Transfer them from the baking sheet to a wire cooling rack as soon as you can (allowing just a few minutes out of the oven to firm up) so that they don’t continue to bake on the baking sheet.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 95mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.8mg