: 8 people
: 235 kcal
: Sarah McMinn
sheet vegan puff pastry
about 30 stalks of asparagus
lemon cashew cream,
recipe to follow
salt and pepper
Lemon Cashew Cream
apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the puff pastry from packaging and let thaw for 30 minutes. Once it's thawed enough to move, gently open up the pastry so that it's laid flat. Gently mark a 1" border around the entire pastry. With a fork, poke holes around the bottom of pastry leaving the border untouched.
While the puff pastry is thawing, snap off the bottom 1" of asparagus stocks and boil for 7 minutes, until slightly tender. Remove from water and let cool.
In a high powered blender mix together the ingredients for the lemon cashew cream until it's thick, creamy, and smooth. Pour into puff pastry and spread evenly over the bottom, leaving the borders clean.
Lay the asparagus over the cashew cream. Brush tops and sides with olive oil then top with minced garlic, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the border is golden brown.
Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Serving and Storing - Eat it the same day. The best puff pastry should be eaten the same day it’s made. Pretty quickly the tart will lose it’s flaky, heavenly goodness.
Make in Advance- If you do want to make them in advance, you can make the crust and cashew cream filling up to two days in advance. Store them separately. The filling should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The tart shells should be covered and stored at room temperature. When ready to eat, just assemble and serve!
- Use a high-powered blender when making cashew cream. Otherwise, your cashew cream will be grainy. If you don't have a high-powered blender, soak the cashews in water for at least 6 hours before preparing the tart.
- Thaw your puff pastry. Don't start assembling your asparagus tart until your puff pastry is thawed. If it's too cold, the pastry might break apart.
- Do not overcook your asparagus. You want your asparagus to still have a bite to it. It should still snap when it's broken in two.
- Bake at a higher temperature. Puff pastry is filled with (vegan) butter and needs high baking temperatures so that it doesn't melt out.
- Do not overbake. Once those edges have just begun browning pull them out. The pastry will continue to harden as it cools.
Calories Per Serving:
% Daily Value