- 2 cup all-purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, + more for sprinkling on top
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, chilled
- 1 cup light coconut milk divided
- 3 tbsp. chickpea flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Serving and Storing - Serve these scones immediately with some vegan butter and a Chai Tea Latte. Store leftover scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Make in Advance: If you want to make this recipe in advance, you can store unbaked scones in the freezer for up to 2 months. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and let them freeze all the way through. Once they are frozen, transfer them to a large Ziplock bag. When ready to bake, you can bake them straight from the freezer following the instructions below. They may need a few extra minutes in the oven since they will be frozen.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Don’t over mix the batter it can become too dense and lose it's flakiness if it is overly mixed.
- Use cool vegan butter that is not at room temperature when mixing the batter. This prevents the butter from melting too much in the oven, allowing the scones their signature flakiness.
- Chill scones in the freezer for at least 20 minutes before baking to allow scones to keep their shape in the oven.
- Do I have to use coconut milk? I recommend coconut milk because it is thick, rich, and adds a nice subtle flavor. If you don’t like coconut, I recommend using a quality unsweetened non-dairy creamer rather than milk.
- Can regular flour be swapped for chickpea flour? Unfortunately, no. Chickpea flour is uniquely dense in protein and works as an egg replacer in a way that all-purpose flour cannot. You should be able to find chickpea flour at your grocery store – look in the bulk or alternative flours section.
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 263mg | Potassium: 253mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 539IU | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg