- 2 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- ¼ cup aquafaba (the brine of a can of chickpeas)
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 2 (6 oz) ramekins with oil and set aside.
In a double boiler or a microwave, gently heat vegan chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally, until completely melted. Set aside.
In a separate bowl combine chickpea flour and water until thick and gooey. Stir in aquafaba and vanilla extract. Add chickpea flour/aquafaba mixture to chocolate/butter and stir to combine.
Sift in flour, powdered sugar, and baking powder. Gently fold in the dry ingredients until a thick uniform batter has formed.
Divide batter evenly between the two ramekins and bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are firm but the middle is still soft. Remove from oven and let sit 1 minute before flipping over onto two plates. Serve immediately with your choice of non-dairy ice cream and berries.
Serving and Storing - Serve this cake immediately for the chocolate lava effect. Serve with coconut whipped cream or non-dairy vanilla ice cream. This vegan chocolate cake does not store well. It should be eaten on the same day.
Make in Advance - If you want to make the batter in advance, prepare the batter and divide it between two ramekins. Cover and let the batter sit in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. When you are ready to serve, simply preheat the oven, bake the cakes for 12-14 minutes and serve hot.
- Chickpea flour has a strong taste when raw which you will notice if you try the batter unbaked. Don't worry, when baked you won't taste the chickpea flour at all!
- Make sure not to over-mix your chocolate. This can agitate the chocolate, causing it to clump and lose its shine.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet. The more you mix, the more deflated your cake will be.
- Do not open the oven door while the cake is baking or it may fall. Check the cake at 12 minutes and give it a gentle shake. To know the cake is ready, the cake should not be wobbly and a thin top crust will have formed.
Calories: 472kcal | Carbohydrates: 111g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 190mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 87g | Vitamin A: 1070IU | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 3.5mg