- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup olive or avocado oil melted
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Generously spray an 8x8 cooking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a small bowl, make your "buttermilk" by whisking together soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to allow milk to curdle.
Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine "buttermilk", sugar, and oil. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined and the batter is evenly hydrated. Don't over-mix.
Transfer to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and edges have baked away from the pan. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Serving and Storing - Serve this cornbread warm with some vegan butter and agave nectar or Bee Free Honee (<<affiliate link). Serve with your favorite vegan chili or as part of your holiday meal. Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. For best results, double wrap the cornbread by first wrapping in plastic wrap and then placing it in a large ziplock bag.
Make in Advance - This bread can be frozen. To thaw, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Thawed cornbread should be eaten within 3 days.
Variations - To make cornbread muffins, simply pour the batter into muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Make sure not to over-mix your batter. When the batter is over-mixed, it allows gluten stands to form which leads to gummy dense bread. We’re looking for light and fluffy!
- Spray your baking pan well to prevent the bread from sticking to the pan.
- Depending on your oven, the top of the bread might start to brown before the center is done. If this is the case, cover the bread in tin foil the final 10-15 minutes.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 279mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 2mg