- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of an 8" or 9" cake pan with a piece of parchment paper. Generously spray the pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, apple sauce, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar until the mixture is thick and consistent. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring until the dry ingredients are evenly hydrated and the batter is thick and smooth.
Pour cake into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45-60 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 30 minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once cool, dust with powdered sugar. Top with blackberries, lemon, and fresh mint. Serve immediately.
Serving and Storing - Once your cake is cool, dust a layer of powdered sugar over the top and decorate it with lemon, berries, and fresh mint. Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this cake for up to 2 months. To thaw, pull the cake from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for several hours.
- When making any kind of cake or quick bread, take care not to overmix. Overmixing allows the gluten strands to develop making the cake gummy. Mix until just combined to ensure a light, delicate crumb.
- Do not open the oven door while the cake is baking. This causes the structure to fall leaving you with a dent in the middle of your cake. You can check for doneness after 45 minutes.
- To prevent the cake from sticking, put a parchment paper at the bottom of the cake pan. You can do this by placing the cake pan on top of a piece of parchment paper and tracing the outside. Cut it to fit exactly and place it snuggly on the bottom. After your parchment paper is in place, generously spray the pan with cooking oil.
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 227mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 10.4mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1.3mg