- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz Fusilli Noodles
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onions are fragrant and translucent.
Stir in celery, carrots, and mushrooms and sauté for another 3 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, bay leaves, thyme, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in Fusilli noodles. Cover and let cook for about 12 minutes, until noodles are al dente. Noodles will continue to cook a soup cools.
Let soup cool 10 minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with fresh bread or crackers.
Serving and Storing - Let the soup cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve it with fresh ground pepper and artisan bread or a big salad. Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, pull the soup into the refrigerator the night before to thaw before heating it up on the stovetop over medium heat.
- This soup recipe is very versatile. That means you can adjust herbs and spices as you please. Additionally, feel free to experiment with different vegetables. Zucchini is a nice alternative to carrots. Mushrooms can be omitted altogether.
- Keep a close eye on the noodles; you want to remove the soup from the heat when the noodles are al dente. The noodles will continue to cook in the hot broth as the soup cools. If you overcook the noodles, they will get soft and mushy.
- When storing the soup, the noodles will continue to expand, absorbing most of the broth. You may need to add a little bit of vegetable broth when heating it up the following days.
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1923mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 6185IU | Vitamin C: 5.2mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.1mg