- 1/2 lb fusilli pasta
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
Serving and Storing - Serve the pasta immediately with fresh basil and roasted pinenuts. Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently reheat the pasta over the stove with 1-2 tablespoons of water. Store leftover pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can also freeze pesto for up to six months. To freeze pesto, freeze it in ice cube trays. Once the pesto is frozen solid, transfer the cubes to a ziplock bag. When ready to use, just add the pesto to your pasta or vegetables to heat.
Variations - Feel free to make this pasta recipe gluten-free. Just swap out the fusilli for any gluten-free pasta. This is my favorite brand of gluten-free pasta.
- Strain the noodles when they are al dente. That means they still have a subtle bite to them. If the noodles are too soft, they will fall apart when mixed with the remaining ingredients.
- It is best to toss the pasta in the oil as soon as the noodles are strained and rinsed in cold water. The oil prevents the pasta from clumping together as it cools.
Calories: 447kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 299mg | Potassium: 504mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 260IU | Vitamin C: 17.8mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 3.2mg