Mediterranean Lentils and Rice
- ½ cup uncooked basmati rice
- ½ cup uncooked brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 batch tomato cucumber salad, recipe follows
- ½ cup homemade or store bought hummus
- ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4-6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved (optional)
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- juice of 1 small lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
Combine rice and lentils in a medium pot with 2 ¼ cups of water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer until the water has evaporated and the rice and lentils are cooked all the way through.
While rice and lentils are cooking, prepare your vegetable and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the Tomato Cucumber Salad and refrigerate until ready to use.
Once the rice and lentils are cooked, divide into 4 bowls or plates. Top with Tomato Cucumber Salad. Add cucumbers, radishes, avocado, and olives then top with a spoonful of hummus. Serve immediately.
Serving and Storing - Serve this meal immediately. This can be served in a pita, with homemade falafel, or as just as it is. Store the components of this dish separately. Store the hummus in the refrigerator for 5 days. The rice and lentils and salad can be stored for up to 3 days.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 694mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1825IU | Vitamin C: 42.7mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 4.4mg