Vegan Egg Salad
- 8 oz extra firm sprouted tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of whole grain bread
- a small handful of mixed greens
- cherry tomatoes
- vegan mayonnaise
- dijon mustard, optional
In a medium bowl crumble tofu to a consistency similar to scrambled eggs. Add the remaining egg salad ingredients and mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make sandwiches, toast two pieces of bread. Spread vegan mayonnaise and dijon mustard on the toasted bread. Layer with greens and tomatoes and then top with about 1/2 cup of egg salad. Serve immediately.
Serving and Storing - This salad should be served chilled. It’s best when it has at least 4 hours to chill before serving. Once you are ready to serve, taste and adjust seasonings. Serve it on bread or a bed of lettuce. Leftover salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Variations - For a soy-free option, sub tofu for chickpeas. To do that, drain and rinse them thoroughly. Transfer them in a bowl and mash them until only a few large pieces remain and add your remaining ingredients.
- Use a water-packed firm or extra firm variety. Avoid high-protein super firm tofu. They are so firm that you will not get the desired egg-like texture.
- Break apart the tofu by hand. This helps break the tofu into a uniform egg-like consistency.
- For a more eggy flavor, add a pinch of black salt to the tofu.
Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 199mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 225mg | Iron: 4mg