- 2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond or soy milk
In a medium pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil. Add pasta and cook for about 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain the water and set it aside. Note: Different types of pasta will have different cooking times. Make sure to follow the instructions on the back of the package.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in minced garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, until lightly brown and fragrant. Add sage and sauté for another minute. Pour in pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, allspice, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 7-9 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in almond milk. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Stir in pasta and sauce and top with hazelnuts, scallions, and vegan parmesan cheese (optional). Serve immediately.
Serving and Storing – Serve this savory pumpkin pasta with your favorite garlic bread or rolls, salads, appetizers, and desserts. Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat, gently reheat the pasta over the stove with 1-2 tablespoons of water. Alternatively, you can freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe container for three months.
- This recipe is versatile. Feel free to add your favorite root veggies and greens to this vegan alfredo sauce to give it extra flavor and nutrients.
- Don't like pumpkin? Use butternut squash or sweet potatoes instead.
- Cook the pasta to al dente to avoid mushy pasta. If you use thicker or thinner noodles, I recommend following the box’s instructions to cook the pasta al dente. Cook times can range from 5 to 6 minutes to 12 or more depending on the variety.
- Spice things up. Spice things up by adding cayenne pepper or jalapeños.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 246mg | Potassium: 422mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 14455IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2.6mg