A colorful and healthy shredded rainbow salad dressed with lemony avocado dressing from the new cookbook from Cupcakes and Kale’s, Greens 24/7.
I think we all can agree that 2014 was an AMAZING year for vegan cookbooks.
Here on the blog I got the chance to review a good number of them and nearly every one I got my hands on completely blew me away. And you know what? I’m thinking 2015 might be an even bigger year for vegan cookbooks. Only a few weeks in and I’m already seeing some pretty fantastic books on the shelves – not to mention the ones I’m eagerly awaiting (Richa & Annie, I’m talking about yours).
Jess has been one of my favorite bloggers from the very beginning. With beautiful photographs, delicious recipe, and honest writing Jess shares pieces of her life and her adorable vegan child in a way so real that you’ll just keep coming back for more. When she announced she was writing a cookbook last year, I was so excited…and also totally amazed. How she manages to raise a toddler, own and operate a bake shop, keep a blog, and write a book is beyond me.
But just like I expected, the book was beautiful and has quickly risen to be among my favorites.
The concept for the book, as you can see from the title, is helping you find ways to get more greens into your life. From breakfast (like the above pictured waffles) to dessert Jess finds healthy and delicious ways to pack in those greens.
With over 100 recipe, nearly all of them accompanied by large beautiful photos taken by the talented Jackie Sabon (Vegan Yack Attack), there is something for everyone. Among these nutrient-packed recipes you’ll find:
- Broccoli and Greens “Quiche”
- Cool Ranch Kale Chips
- Shredded Rainbow Salad (recipe to follow)
- Deconstructed Sushi Bowl
- Chocolate Hazelnut Avocado Torte
- Lemon and Parsley Olive Oil Cake
with chapters ranging from “Smoothies & Breakfast” to “Green Entrees” to “Green Cakes and Desserts”.
And yes, the desserts look DELICIOUS.
Greens 24/7 begins with a thorough introduction to over 30 different types of greens you’ll find throughout the book. In this section you’ll discover the health benefits of each green as well as tips on how to cook and eat them. This is followed by a “Typical Day” Greens Meal Plans which gives you several different types of meal plans like:
- For parents trying to feed their kids greens
- For the super busy, no-time-to-slave-over-a-meal cook
- For the health-conscious Trying to maximize nutritious content
- For those who love to entertain
And if you have ever read one of my cookbook reviews, you probably already know that meal plans are my favorite parts of any good cookbook.
Like her blog, this book is creative, inventive, and gorgeous. If you love good food, then this book is for you. Everything I’ve tried so far has been a huge hit and I can’t wait to keep digging in to this beautiful work of art.
Let’s take a look at this Shredded Rainbow Salad.
All photographs taken by Jackie Sabon and used with permission from The Experiment Publishing
A colorful and healthy shredded rainbow salad dressed with lemony avocado dressing from the new cookbook from Cupcakes and Kale's, Greens 24/7
- ½ small red cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 3 –4 kale leaves stems removed
- ½ cucumber
- 1 cup (150 g) shelled frozen edamame
- 3 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1 small avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Shred or grate all the vegetables either by hand or using a food processor fitted with the grating blade.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook the edamame in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process.
- Combine all the shredded vegetables in a large bowl along with the edamame and 2 tablespoons hemp hearts.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
- Add the lemony avocado dressing to the vegetables and toss well. Store any leftover dressing in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days.
- Garnish with the last tablespoon of hemp seeds. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe from Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Vegetables at Every Meal, Every Day © Jessica Nadel, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. www.theexperimentpublishing.com
Before you go, the generous people over at The Experiment are offering one of my readers a chance to own this wonderful new book for free. Enter below.
Contest open to U.S. and Canada residents only.
This post contains affiliate links.