Warm up on these cold autumn nights with an Orange Bourbon Apple Cider. It is spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and star anise with a fresh apple garnish for a delicious evening beverage.
All month I’ve been giving you vegan Thanksgiving recipes to use this year at your holiday gatherings. So far I’ve shared:
- Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- Lentil and Mushroom “Meatloaf”
- Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Vegan Parmesan Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes”
But what Thanksgiving is complete without a seasonal cocktail to enjoy with your Pumpkin Cheesecake?
And so today let’s celebrate the upcoming weekend (yay Friday!) and the upcoming holidays with one of my favorite autumnal cocktails – an Orange Bourbon Apple Cider made with freshly squeezed orange juice and whole spices for a delicious sweet and spicy whiskey cocktail.
Recommended Ingredients & Equipment
I’m not typically a fan of sweet cocktails and I usually prefer my whiskey straight up but there are a few times a year when exceptions must be made. And a cold November evening after a huge meal of pot pie, mashed potatoes, and Thanksgiving stuffing, while sitting around a fire and talking with your closest friends and family is the perfect exception to this rule.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Apple Cider
- Orange Juice
- Bourbon – If you’re completely new to bourbon, I would suggest using one of my favorites, either Bulleit or Four Roses for this drink but any good bourbon would do. And if you’re feeling especially spicy, try mixing it up with a little Fireball.But be careful, at that point it starts to taste an awful lot like liquid candy.
- Spices – You will need cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise (optional).
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Orange Bourbon Apple Cider
Step One – Combine and Heat
Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Heat to a scald, stirring occasionally.
Step Two – Remove and Serve
Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes before dividing into two mugs. Serve with sprinkled cinnamon and star anise.
Serving and Storing
Serve immediately with sprinkled cinnamon and star anise. You can also serve this drink cool. Let the cider cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
For sure! If you are preparing for a party, you can double or triple this batch and make it 2-3 days in advance. Store the apple cider in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
More Holiday Cocktail Recipes
- Apple Pie on the Rocks [Vegan Yack Attack]
- Holiday Moscow Mule [My Darling Vegan]
- Hot Buttered Rum [It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken]
- Maple Old-Fashioned [The Nut-Free Vegan]
- Christmas Sangria [My Darling Vegan]
- Slow Cooker Mulled Wine [Thyme & Love]
Warm up on these cold autumn nights with an Orange Bourbon Apple Cider spiced with whole spices and fresh apples for a delicious evening beverage.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment and rate it below.
If you made any substitutions, let us know how it turned out!
Keyword: Bourbon Apple Cider
Calories: 235 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until the liquid starts to steam and is hot to the touch.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly before dividing between two mugs.
Serving and Storing - Serve immediately with sprinkled cinnamon and star anise. You can also serve this drink cool. Let the cider cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Make in Advance - If you are preparing for a party, you can double or triple this batch and make it 2-3 days in advance. Store the apple cider in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 7 days.