Bake a batch of this warm spiced vegan Chocolate Banana Loaves; the perfect food gift to give your loved ones this holiday season.
Welcome back to the final day of the Christmas Cookbook Giveaway ExtraVEGANza. I’m going to go ahead and say it, I’ve saved the best for last.
Today we are going to be looking at the brand new book from cookbook-writer-extraordinaire, Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
Isa Chandra is a very influential person in the vegan universe and has been writing amazing plant-based cookbooks for over a decade. Each cookbook she writes raises the bar on what a cookbook ought to be and The Superfun Vegan Holiday Times is no exception to that; this book is an absolute masterpiece. With over 250 incredible vegan recipes in almost 450 pages, this is an epic cookbook and possibly the best of it’s kind.
The book is broken down into 17 different celebrations/holidays that happen chronologically throughout the year. The first chapter being with New Years and the last, Christmas. In between those chapters, you’ll find holidays like the Super Bowl, Valentine’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and much more.
Among the 250 inspired recipes you’ll find throughout this book are:
- Bagels & Nox with Wild Mushroom Caviar
- BBQ Nachos
- Sausage-Stuffed Leeks
- Epic Eggplant Lasagna (pictured above)
- Sundried Tomato Seitan Roast
- Irish Cream Whoopie Pies
- Ginger Chocolate Banana Mini Loaves (we’ll get to that in a minute)
With each one accompanied by Vanessa Rees‘ gorgeous and mouth-watering food photography (as seen throughout this review).
In addition to the recipes, there is a helpful chapter on tips for entertaining for every occasion. With sections that include: menu planning, overcoming the stress of entertaining, setting the holiday table, and hosting tips, Isa makes sure to set you up for success.
Isa has done it again by creating one of the best vegan cookbooks of our time. I really can’t express how much I love this book.
Do you wanna take a closer look? Lets check out these Ginger Chocolate Banana Loaves pictures below.
Bake a batch of this warm spiced vegan Ginger Chocolate Banana Loaves; the perfect food gift to give your loved ones this holiday season.
Keyword: Chocolate Banana Loaves
Servings: 12 people
Calories: 284 kcal
Author: Isa Chandra
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup refined coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or your favorite nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Microplaned fresh ginger, see Tip
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Of course you can make these as muffins if you like! Just bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Or you can make a standard 8-by-4-inch loaf, baked for 50 minutes. It’s also a fun and
- forgiving batter to experiment with in any funky-shaped pan you like, so if you have mini Bundt pans or Yoda-head mini pans, now is the time to use them.
- Grating the ginger with a Microplane, which is a very, very fine grater, yields almost a puree.
- If you don’t have a Microplane, you can simply mince the ginger very finely, almost to a paste.
- Make banana bread even more special with fresh ginger and chocolate chips. These loaves taste delish warm out of the oven, but the ginger is even more pronounced if you let them cool a bit, so these are a wonderful make-ahead treat. I love mini chocolate chips here because they disperse so nicely in a mini loaf, but if you use the regular size no one will be mad atcha.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-compartment mini loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas very well with a small masher or a strong fork, until no large chunks are left.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the coconut oil and sugars. Mix in the mashed bananas, applesauce, milk, vanilla, and ginger.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, along with the baking soda and salt, and stir to mix, being careful not to overmix. Add the remaining 1 cup flour and the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Again, be careful to mix only until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scoop equal amounts of the batter into the compartments of the mini loaf pan. Bake until the tops are lightly browned and feel firm if you tap them, 35 to 38 minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Serving suggestion! You can totally just devour this in whole-loaf form, but you can also serve thin slices with strawberries and whipped cream (or not).
Excerpted from the book THE SUPERFUN TIMES VEGAN HOLIDAY COOKBOOK by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Copyright © 2016 by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Reprinted with permission of Little, Brown and Company.
But wait, there’s more!
Isa Chandra’s publisher, Little, Brown and Company, has offer me the chance to run a giveaway for you! One lucky reader will win a FREE copy of The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook. Enter below for a chance to win.
Giveaway open to U.S.residents.
This post contains affiliate links.