These Vegan Frozen S’mores Bars are made with toasted marshmallow ice cream sandwiched between homemade graham crackers and dipped in chocolate.
Growing up I was never a big fan of S’mores.
While the process was alway fun – roasting the marshmallows until they were perfectly browned (although I was never patient enough and always ended up setting mine aflame) while sitting around a campfire both loving and hating the smoke as it blew around the circle – I usually opted to eat my marshmallows right off the roasting stick. S’mores were messy and the texture was all wrong.
Despite this I have been craving S’mores recently.
Maybe because it’s finally August (official S’more’s month) or maybe it’s just been too long – too long since roasting marshmallows and too long since I’ve been camping. But with no camping trips on the horizon, I found a solution: Frozen S’mores. While traditional S’mores are contained to outdoor fires, I created something that can be eaten year around straight from your kitchen.
These Vegan Frozen S'mores Bars are made with toasted marshmallow ice cream sandwiched between homemade graham crackers and dipped in chocolate
- Make Graham Crackers according to these directions. Don’t break crackers into individual pieces after baking.
- To make Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream, place vegan marshmallows on a parchment-lined baking sheet and broil until browned and bubbly. This will take about 5 minutes but watch oven closely. Let cool 20-30 minutes.
- In a food processor or high-powered blender blend together marshmallows with remaining ice cream ingredients until smooth. Transfer to air tight contain and place in refrigerator to chill completely, about 45-60 minutes.
- Transfer to ice cream maker and make according to manufacture’s instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, follow these instructions.
- Let ice cream firm up slightly in freezer. Remove while ice cream is hard but still moldable.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide graham crackers into two sheets. Place one graham cracker sheet on plastic wrap. Spread ice cream on top so that it is 3/4 – 1 inch thick. Cover with remaining graham cracker sheet and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in freezer until the ice cream is frozen solid (about 6 hours)
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. Stir in coconut oil.
- Dip or drizzle chocolate over frozen ice cream sandwiches and re-freezer for at least 10 minutes before serving.