A simple and satisfying breakfast or midday snack, this easy vegan Avocado Toast is my go-to pick-me-up meal. With lots of variation, this avocado toast recipe won’t let you down.
I started eating easy avocado toast when I was pregnant for the first time. Seemingly always hungry and actively trying to fit in more healthy fats and complete proteins to my diet, avocado toast became an easy choice. And so I ate it. All the time.
I think my daughter was half-built on avocados.
My love (obsession?) with avocado toast did not end there. It continued to be my go-to snack while I was a nursing, sleep-deprived mother for the following 4 years. This simple, light meal gave me everything I needed: calories, energy, protein, and fat.
Better yet? It was ready in minutes with minimal prep.
What is Avocado Toast?
Avocado toast is as straight forward as it sounds; avocado mashed onto warm crusty toast.
I keep mine simple by adding red pepper flakes, Himalayan sea salt, and nutritional yeast but you can do whatever you’d like! Thrown on some sliced heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil, or noochy chickpeas and watercress, or tempeh bacon and vegan eggs. The options are endless.
Why I love Avocado Toast
- It’s a super simple and quick light meal or snack
- loaded with lots of healthy fats, calories, and protein
- as well as tons of vitamins A, C, E, K and B6
- and a good dose of potassium
- for a filling, delicious, and beneficial meal that can be ready in under 5 minutes.
No wonder avocado toast has become wildly popular!
HOW TO PICK THE PERFECT AVOCADO
Because avocado is so essential for avocado toast it’s important that we pick an avocado when it’s perfectly ripe. When choosing an avocado, look for one that is darker in color and make sure that it is mostly firm with a little bit of give when you gently press on its skin.
For a super helpful How-To Guide, check out this article.
Pro Tip: If you buy your avocados before they are ripe, let them sit out at room temperature for a couple of days until they are slightly soft to pressure. Once they are ready, you can stick ripe avocados in the refrigerator to allow them to last longer.
Variations of AVOCADO TOAST
I keep mine simple by adding red pepper flakes, Himalayan sea salt, and nutritional yeast but you can do whatever you’d like! Here are a few variations I’ve tried:
- sliced heirloom tomatoes fresh basil
- cheesy chickpeas and watercress
- thinly sliced cucumber and parsley
- sautéed kale
- tempeh bacon
- vegan eggs.
Serving and Storing Avocado Toast
Avocado toast should be eaten immediately. Once an avocado is opened, it starts to brown quickly. If you are only eating 1/2 of the avocado, juice a little of lemon or lime on the remaining half and store it with the pit in a ziplock bag.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment and rate it below.
If you made any substitutions, let us know how it turned out!
Keyword: Easy Avocado Toast
Calories: 327 kcal
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 2 pieces of bread toasted
- 1 small avocado
- a pinch of nutritional yeast
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- a pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Thinly slice avocado and evenly divide between the two slices of toast.
- Smash the avocado, spreading a thick, even layer.
- Top with nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.
- Eat it all up!