A simple and satisfying breakfast or midday snack, this easy vegan Avocado Toast is my go to pick-me-up meal.
I started eating easy avocado toast when I was pregnant for the first time. Seemingly always hungry and actively trying to fit in more healthy fats and complete proteins to my diet, avocado toast became an easy choice. And so I ate it. All the time.
I think my daughter was half built on avocados.
My love (obsession?) with avocado toast did not end there. It continued to be my go-to snack while I was a nursing, sleep-deprived mother for the following 4 years. This simple, light meal gave me everything I needed: calories, energy, protein, and fat.
Better yet? It was ready in minutes with minimal prep.
Today, no longer a pregnant or nursing mother (although still painfully sleep deprived) I’m still a huge fan of the avocado toast. It can, regretfully, be very easy for me to go halfway through the day before eating. With my schedule, the kids, my coffee habit, etc., I can often forget all together about breakfast. Then I am suddenly shaking, dizzy, and very very irritable. I know, I know, I need to work on this.
When this sudden and intense onset of hunger happens I have two quick meals I turn to: either my easy vegan scrambled eggs or a variation of this easy avocado toast.
Avocado toast is as straight forward as it sounds; avocado + toast. I keep mine simple by adding red pepper flakes, Himalayan sea salt, and nutritional yeast but you can do whatever you’d like! Thrown on some sliced heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil, or noochy chickpeas and watercress, or tempeh bacon and vegan eggs. The options are endless.
The benefits, you ask.
- It’s a super simple and quick light meal or snack
- loaded with lots of healthy fats, calories, and protein
- as well as tons of vitamins A, C, E, K and B6
- and a good dose of potassium
- for a filling, delicious, and beneficial meal that can be ready in under 5 minutes.
- 2 pieces of bread toasted
- 1 small avocado
- a pinch of nutritional yeast
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- a pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Thinly slice avocado and evenly divide between the two slices of toast.
- Smash the avocado, spreading a thick, even layer.
- Top with nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.
- Eat it all up!