This Cilantro Lime Vegan Cabbage Salad is made with shredded white and purple cabbage and carrots then dressed with a sweet cilantro lime dressing.
I try very hard to waste no food in my house.
To do this it requires a lot of organization (of my kitchen and shopping schedules) and discipline (to cook what needs to be cooked even when I’m not feeling it), but the outcome of zero food waste is extraordinarily worth it. Being a food blogger only makes this more difficult. Every Friday I go shopping to gather all the ingredients I will likely be using for my week’s recipes. This is different than my weekly grocery shopping trip I take every Tuesday to buy food that feeds my family.
The challenge with my Friday shopping is that I buy many ingredients that are destined for one recipe and one recipe only. And because I make 3 recipes a week as well as food for my kids and myself all week long, food can sometimes get lost in the depths of the refrigerator.
What do I do when this happens?
I empty my fridge, determine the foods that are on their way out, and develop a recipe that uses those foods. You may recall my BBQ Chickpea Pizza, one of my most popular recipes last month, that was invented this very way.
Well, today I have another recipe that came from the ingredients of past recipes that were in serious need of repurposing.
And the outcome? This Cilantro Lime Vegan Cabbage Salad.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Recommended Ingredients and Equipment
For this vegan cabbage salad you will need.
- White Cabbage
- Red Cabbage
- Green Onions
- Apple Cider Vinegar – You could also use white wine vinegar.
- Agave Nectar – This is to sweetened the dressing. You could also use coconut sugar or maple syrup.
- Salt and Pepper
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets.
How to Make Vegan Cabbage Salad
Step One – Shred the Cabbage
Using a sharp chef’s knife or a food processor with the shredder attachment, shred the red and white cabbage as well as the carrots. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and green onions.
Transfer the shredded veggies to a bowl and stir in cilantro and green onions.
Step Two – Make the Dressing
In a small bowl combine the ingredient for the Lime Dressing. Pour over the cabbage and toss to combine.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days
Serving and Storing
Serving – Serve this salad immediately with fresh lime wedges and cilantro. This Cilantro Lime Cabbage Salad is a refreshing side salad that pairs with anything you’re going to be making this summer. Think grill, potluck, picnic, this salad is your constant companion. Add BBQ Tempeh to the salad for a protein-packed lunch.
Storing – Leftover salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days for a quick and light snack throughout the day.
More Vegan Summer Recipes
- Perfect Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Tofu Skewers
- Pesto Pasta with Summer Squash and Cherry Tomatoes
- Homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Classic Cherry Cobbler
Cilantro Lime Vegan Cabbage Salad
- 2 cups packed green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups packed red cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, minced
- juice of 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp chef's knife or a food processor with the shredder attachment, shred the red and white cabbage as well as the carrots. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and green onions.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredient for the Lime Dressing. Pour over the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days