Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Vegan Breakfast Bowl with Tofu and Kale has everything you need – protein, healthy fats, and the best superfoods to energize you and keep you going all day long.
If you’ve been around for a while then you know I love a good tofu scramble. In fact, if I had to eat just one meal for the rest of my life, I’m 99% certain that I would choose a tofu scramble. With so many variations, there are endless options when it comes to this godsend of a savory breakfast. And no matter how you flavor it, it’s going to give you a hearty, protein and veggie-packed meal that will fuel you up for hours. Tofu scramble, I love you!
On this blog, I’ve already shared a few of my favorite recipes. There are the Mexican Tofu Scramble and Greek Tofu Scramble recipes as well as my Easy Vegan Scrambled “Eggs“. These are all recipes I love, but truth be told, since last summer when I was on my zucchini kick this Zucchini and Corn Tofu Scramble recipe is all I’ve been eating.
Today, I’m making a variation of the tofu scramble. It’s my 30-Day Cleanse Vegan Breakfast Bowl.
This has been my go-to breakfast/brunch for months. I probably eat this tofu bowl (or a variation on this), at least 2 times a week. It is hearty, wholesome, filling, wonderfully delicious, and I think you’re going to love it, too. So, come on in, take a seat, and let’s talk Vegan Breakfast Bowl.
How to Make Tofu Breakfast Bowl
Step One – Make the Tofu
The first step in this recipe is making that perfectly crispy tofu. Quick recap: high-quality tofu, HOT cast iron pan, lots of oil. Got it? Great! Once the tofu is perfectly crispy, we are going to toss it with one of my favorite superfoods – nutritional yeast – for that cheesy, nutty flavor that we all know and love.
Best tofu for Tofu Breakfast Bowl
For this recipe, look for extra-firm tofu that is not water-packed, such as Trader Joe’s High-Protein Tofu or Super Firm or Sprouted Tofu. These types of tofu do not have excess water and do not need to be pressed.
If you have to use water-packed tofu make sure to press as much water as you can out of it first by using a tofu press or a weighted, towel-lined cutting board. Press the tofu for at least 1 hour.
Step Two – Chop and Sauté the Kale
Okay, the tofu is sautéing, so let’s chop up that fresh kale. While we chop, I wanna talk about some of the amazing benefits of kale.
AMAZING BENEFITS OF KALE
One cup of kale has:
- Over 100% of your daily vitamins A, C, and K
- 3 grams of protein
- A significant intake of potassium, calcium, and folate
- 2.5 grams of fiber
And kale is loaded with powerful antioxidant and beta-carotene. That’s why I love to start my day off with as much of these dark leafy greens as possible.
Step three – Assemble the Bowl
The rest of this bowl is kinda up to you. I like to add my Quick Pickled Cabbage, which I almost always have on hand, a bit of Lemony Cashew Cream, as well as anything else I can think of to sprinkle on top – nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, red pepper flakes, chopped radishes. Pretty much anything goes.
It’s the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink of breakfast bowls.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT TOFU BOWL
Friends, I have been making tofu bowls for a long time and here are a few of the tips I’ve picked up from the years.
- Use extra-firm, vacuum-packed tofu for a chewy meat-like texture.
- I have tried this with many different vegetables. Two of my favorite variations are adding mushrooms or swapping in spinach for kale.
- Make sure to follow these instructions on how to make perfectly crispy tofu every time.
- For a more eggy flavor, add a pinch of black salt to the tofu.
- Serve with vegan parmesan, nutritional yeast, and hemp hearts.
- This breakfast bowl should be served immediately. Leftover tofu can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
OTHER SAVORY TOFU RECIPES
- Mexican Tofu Scramble
- Rancheros Tofu Scramble
- Spinach and Mushroom Tofu Scramble
- Greek Tofu Scramble
- Southwest Tofu Scramble
Are you ready to give my go-to tofu scramble a try? Let’s take a look at the recipe below.
Vegan Breakfast Bowl
Tofu Kale Scramble
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and let it melt.
- Cut tofu in 3/4" cubes and sprinkle with salt. Once the oil is very hot, add tofu. The tofu should sizzle when dropped in the pan. Sauté for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tofu is crispy on all sides. Sprinkle in nutritional yeast and toss to coat.
- Add chopped kale and lower heat. You made need to add 1-2 tablespoon of water at this point to help the kale cook down. Stir occasionally until kale is wilted.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with Quick Pickled Cabbage and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately.