In 5 years, these BBQ Jackfruit Tacos are only the second taco recipe on the blog.
Why, you might ask.
Because, of all the foods in the world, tacos are the hardest for me to photography. Food bloggers, I’m not alone in this, right? The lighting, the staging, the angling…I just can never seem to get a good shot. In fact, I have had several tacos recipes intended to go on this blog that never made it past the photo editing stage. And so, preferring to stick to the things I’m good at, I left well enough alone and My Darling Vegan became a taco-less blog.
And then came the jackfruit.
For those of you who haven’t yet heard of jackfruit, it’s a large tropical fruit that is high in fiber, low in calories, and has the texture of a meat incredibly similar to pulled pork (or so I’m told; I’ve never actually had pulled pork). Because it doesn’t have strong flavor, it will readily absorb any flavor you marinate it in. For these reasons, jackfruit quickly because a popular, whole food meat substitute that is suddenly EVERYWHERE. You can find green jackfruit in cans or flavored jackfruit in your local grocery stores. If you look, you’ll even start to see jackfruit pop up on restaurant menus.
Seriously, people love this stuff!
Now with jackfruit readily available, I just had to find a way to photograph my favorite taco recipe.
As my 3 year old would say,
These BBQ Jackfruit Tacos are basically my BBQ “Pulled Pork” Pizza recipe I made a few years back. Only difference is they are made jackfruit instead of heart of palm and use corn tortillas instead of pizza crust. And people, they are fantastic! Sweet, tangy, spicy, and fresh, these BBQ Jackfruit Tacos are the real deal.
So grab some jackfruit and make these tacos today!
- BBQ Jackfruit
- 1 can green jackfruit, drained
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium mango, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- a few springs of cilantro, chopped
- pinch of salt
Cilantro Cashew Cream
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- ½ cup warm water
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 6 corn of flour tortillas
- fresh cilantro
- jalapeño, sliced thin
- To make the BBQ Jackfruit: In a shallow dish, combine jackfruit with ½ cup BBQ sauce. Let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. When ready, heat the oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. Add onions, reduce heat, and sauté until caramelized, about 10 - 12 minutes. Add jackfruit and heat through. Set aside.
- To make the Mango Salsa: Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to the refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavors absorb.
- To make the Cilantro Cashew Cream: Drain and rinse the cashews. Place them in a high-speed blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the tacos: Place a small amount of BBQ jackfruit on each taco. Top with mango salsa, cashew cream, cilantro and jalapeños. Serve immediately.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter